24 baptized at Tucson, AZ today - attendance 5,670

by Gayle 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

A friend, non-JW, went to convention today. She observed about 1/3 baptized were youth.

I read article:

http://downtownjax.firstcoastnews.com/photo-gallery/79129-jehovahs-witnesses-convention-underway-jacksonville-veterans-memorial-arena?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wtlv%2Fdowntownjax+%28Downtown+Jacksonville+News+-+Your+source+for+local+news%29 ********************************************************** indicating last year's U.S. convention attenders hit about 1,800,000. Dividing the Tucson convention possible peak attendance for tomorrow, maybe 6,500? and muliplying that by 24, does not come out to much overall. (1,800,000\6500= 277 for avg.; 277 * 24 = 6,646. Some conventions, of course, are larger and many smaller, as noted in news of 382 total.)

Would you say, District Conventions have about twice the number of baptisms than circuit assemblies? So what could we be projecting? 2011, U.S. baptisms were 32,953. My disclaimer: I am not a statistician. And this is just one convention and I know several should be considered before jumping to conclusions. I hope some others here will report other conventions baptisms this summer.
  • ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

My calculator tells me that's a .004 rate of growth with 1/3 children that tells me the bORG needs to come up with some kind of spin on why birth control is wrong. Other religions have done so with a moderate amount of sucess.

• blondie
    blondie

I thought the WTS merely was against birth control that involved dislodging an already fertilized egg from the womb...or sterilization such as tubal ligation and vasectomies. Other forms of birth control are a personal decision. I have known many jws that used those forms including elders wives, circuit overseer wives, married female Bethelites, etc.

• Glander
    Glander

Is it true that if an Hispanic looking person tries to purchase tortillas in Arizona they have to have a Green card?

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Why would anyone want to purchase tortillas, they taste horrible with all those added preservatives. It's better to make your own. Unless, of course, you can buy freshly made ones.

• mP
    mP

wow, jehovah is surely blessing his people! lucky there are so many horny jws having kids otherwise there would be no baps.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

No baps ? Oh I see, baptisms, something else flashed to mind then, (ladybumps) some CA's do have no baps. tee hee

For the 5,000+ attending their would have been statistically more than 24 deaths in just the last year, it would have taken more than a year to get most of the 24 to baptism.

That few getting baptised is a loss, not an increase.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I remember hearing that if the number getting baptized at a convention equaled 1% or more of the attendance that was considered good.

So there should have been 57 baptized there, not 24.

Jehovah is certainly sppeding up the increase, isn't he?

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I wonder how many LEFT in the previous year of just that particular district... I would wager that 24 baptisms won't fill the gap.

Oz

• designs
    designs

1. Tortilla stand outside the convention would be a big hit. Faces of the GB appearing on the tortillas would also signal Armageddon is near.

2. Practice birth control at home not the convention.

3. Baptism- there is no long waiting line any more, you'll be in and out in no time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit