New York Legislators Hope to End Internet Anonymity

by rebel8 10 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
  • NOLAW
    NOLAW

Let them lick my ****!

• rebel8
    rebel8

I srsly hope nothing like this passes in any jurisdiction. The ability of dubs to post anonymously has been critical in their exit.

• cheerios
    cheerios

how stupid .. uh yeah new york, good luck with enforcement ... if i were an ISP in ny, i would be super pissed about now. if this does pass, all people will do is move their sites out of ny's jurisdiction

good going new york! lol

clowns

• rebel8
    rebel8

My guess is this is an attempt to regulate Internet bullying, since the legislature is interested in that now, but maybe the wording of the legislation is too broad.

• rebel8
    rebel8

My guess is this is an attempt to regulate Internet bullying, since the legislature is interested in that now, but maybe the wording of the legislation is too broad.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

From reading the article, it seems that the posters would only have to identify themselves if they were reported for cyber bullying... A toll free number would be provided and they would have 48 hours to identify themselves or their post would be removed.

They also need to make the line of demarcation between what is defamation and what is not in writing this law. Stating an opinion (ie. "I think that this person looks like a thief and a liar") is different than stating a fact that cannot be proven (ie. "This person is a thief and a liar"). Stating an opinion is protected by the laws of defamation, whereas when it's phrased as a fact without proof, it can be considered defamation and thus, bullying.

• Diest
    Diest

If your privacy rights include abortion, then I think they include the internet too.

• rebel8
    rebel8

morbidzbaby, my concern is a scenario as follows--

wts makes a cyberbullying complaint to Simon. Simon has to disclose your name.

I don't think the webmaster should have to comply just because of a complaint. I think there should be proof it was actually cyberbullying.

We'll see how the legislation progresses and what will be required.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I agree with that, rebel8. The bullying should have to be proven beyond a doubt. The post number, etc. should have to be included in the complaint so that it can be looked into further.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit