untitled

by FrenchFreeJW 12 Replies latest jw friends

• FrenchFreeJW
    FrenchFreeJW

Hi everybody!

First I’d like to you forgive me for my poor English level. I’m French, and you do know how it’s hard for French people to talk foreign language. So please, be tolerant and patient with me!

To present myself briefly, I’m one of these numbered young baptized JW who know, 23 years later for my part, that’s the biggest part of our belief was based on non-scientific ‘truths’.

Now, I feel simply like prisoner of this religion – to be a JW son, grand-son, husband, son-in-law, uncle, brother-in-law, neighbour, workmate … you know what it is … it doesn’t really help to do your ‘coming out’.

I started to follow this forum 2 years ago.

But last Tuesday, I finally decided to write my own topic, because I regularly met in JW literature some weird arguments which wounded my logic mind and I’d like to know what do you think about.

May be have you heard something about the world wide JW worship unity.

I believed these too… until penultimate WT study (2012, May 7-13 p.15).

Back to begin. 2 years ago, I found how to take advantage of my ‘spiritual’ studies: reading these in English to improve my language (rather than simply lose 3 hours by week by attending JW meeting).

So, last Sunday’s morning, (like a gentle sheep…), I was hearing the WT reader speaking in French while I was following it in my English WT.

What a surprise when I discovered that some English sentences and most important, their ideas, was omitted, purely and simply, in their French translation!

In English, we can read in the article “MAINTAIN YOUR SENSE OF URGENCY”

§2 “As Jehovah’s witnesses, we hope to help people to be saved. To that end, we take seriously our commission to preach good news of the Kingdom. Of course, we do not dash about frantically. Then what did the apostle Paul mean when he gave the admonition ‘Preach the word, be at it urgently’? How can we preach with urgency? And why is our work so urgent?”

French traduction:

§2 “Pour notre part, nous souhaitons aider nos contemporains à obtenir le salut. C’est pour cette raison que nous prenons au sérieux notre mission de prêcher la bonne nouvelle du Royaume. Paul a d’ailleurs ordonné de ‘prêcher la parole avec insistance’. Qu’est-ce que cela signifie ? Comment suivre ce commandement ? Et pourquoi notre œuvre est-elle si urgente ? »

Following, the Google translation from this French version:

§ 2 “For our part , we want to help our contemporaries to gain salvation . That's why we take seriously our mission to preach the gospel of the kingdom . Paul was also ordered to ' preach the word emphatically '. What does this mean? How to follow this commandment ? Why is our work is so urgent ?”

The sentence « Of course, we do not dash about frantically” has simply disappeared in the French translation!

Damn, for once there was an interesting idea instead of the perennial chorus “first preach the good news”!

I conclude that we, in France, have not exactly the same ‘spiritual’ food that the English flock has.

So, the issue is: where is the worship unity in this case?

• cedars
    cedars

FrenchFreeJW - A huge "bienvenue" to the forum!! It's great to have you with us! I always admire and am frankly jealous of those who are multi-lingual, like yourself.

French is not the only language in which certain ideas are purposefully omitted. I can tell you atleast one another language where entire sentences were omitted once I examined more closely. I once brought this up with a bethel translator of the same language, and he began to get quite defensive. It seems the reasoning is that translation involves not just translating word-for-word but conveying the overall meaning. However, this doesn't explain why entire sentences are frequently omitted, as you highlight. I personally believe it's a "space saving" ploy. If they are running out of space on a certain pages (or two pages) they will cut sentences that they think are superfluous. However, their idea of superfluous and yours and mine my be entirely different.

Besides, shouldn't everything that comes down to us from the Slave Class be conveyed accurately in every language, regardless of whether it fits on the pages or not? Shouldn't pictures be sacrificed for text if that is the case?

As with many things, I think the Governing Body are counting on not too many people finding out about this, but you are correct to draw people's attention to it.

Cedars

• Open mind
    Open mind

Welcome to JWN!!!

It was mentioned here a while back that the English Watchtower study article that gave an experience of a woman whose husband "hit" her.

The Watchtower was in essence implying that it was a good idea for this woman to stay in a physically abusive relationshiop.

Apparently, in other languages, they didn't translate the word as "hit" though, thus watering down the meaning.

om

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Welcome to JWN!

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Welcome FrenchFreeJW

I look forward to hearing your experiences in France regarding JWs and the attitude to religion in general over there.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Bienvenue a JWN - le meillure site ex-TJ sur Internet!

You sound like my French counterpart! I've been using the French WT/bible for years now, and enjoy pointing out omissions and contradictions to my wife. It gives some insight into the translator's perspective on the material - tres interessant! Happy to know others see what I am seeing.

• Scully
    Scully

Bienvenue FrenchFreeJW

Peut-être il n'ya pas une traduction qui rend exactement le sentiment exprimé comme en anglais?

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Bienvenue!

Loz x

• mouthy
    mouthy

Bievinue!!!!!!!So happy to have you join us....
    I tried so hard to learn French.I lived in Montreal as a JW( French speaking area.

Good for you that you can speak the English I failed at french
    Mouthy

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome!

Some foreign languages are allowed to exclude a small amount of material due to the length of text required. MEPS requires the same text layout for all languages. It's common for French translations to be something like 10% longer than the original English. Rather than make the text smaller, they can choose to omit some of the wording. In this case, the sentence, " Of course, we do not dash about frantically. " sounds foolish in English. I would assume that the French translators decided that it was too meaningless to bother with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit