Did anyone else see the Beach Boys on Charlie Rose Friday and Mick Jagger on SNL

by Band on the Run 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was flooded with such great memories! Oh, when I saw the Stones and the Beach Boys in relatively small venues in the 1960s, I thought maybe it would last another year. Brian Wilson's mental illness and treatment tragedy make him very special.

Mick was Mick. He has aged well b/c his face was so lined at 24 that he already looked in his seventies. I wonder how me moves so youthfully.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I thought Mick looked rather haggard and old on SNL and his singing wasn't good at all.

Putting things into perspective he is 68 years old now and frankly the years in the R & R industry has taken some toll on the guy.

I think he really tries hard to keep up that sexual appeal he once had in his younger years but the dyed hair and the saggy lined face doesn't

help in this effort at all. Time to give it up Mick, old age doesn't fit with rebellious R&R, its indigenous to the youth market.

I sort of felt a bit sorry for him, trying to be comedic actor and a R&R singer on SNL.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Mick was far better than Sir Paul was when he on last year. It made me feel sad. It made me realize I missed out and didn't get to see McCartney when his voice was good. Mick I thought was funny (i.e. made good use of the unfunny material he had to work with) and still very energetic for his age. Yeah, he looks old. How can someone from the freaking Stones NOT look old?

• designs
    designs

Saw the Beach Boys, they sounded good, nobody's matched their harmonies.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I've always liked the Stones over the Beatles.

A friend of mine who used to work at the local NBC station in NYC met him when he was on one of the local talk shows. She was a Page and they're not supposed to "chat up the stars" or tell them how you're they're biggest fan and so forth, so once he was in the Green Room and she was minding her own business, he was talking to some other folks in the room and he made it a point to bring my friend in on the conversation he was having, she's never forgotten that !

BTW, she also mentioned that he was in desperate need of some deodorant or a quick shower.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think what distinguishes the Stones from the Beatles was that the Stones were the real bad boy rebellious rock band and the Beatles

were the supposed teddy boy type Pop stars.

When Paul McCartney performs today he can still pull off a pretty good performance in relation to his music.

When Mick Jaggar performs due to hard style Rock of the old Stones music, he doesn't pull it off as well and quite frankly seeing a guy of his age

strut himself around like a wirey 20 year old doesn't look right at all .......just saying.

Mick pulled it off when he was in his 50 Ts. and could actual sing alright then, now though ???

• Giordano
    Giordano

Finklestein I agree with you. Paul also gets to sit at the piano so he looks age appropriate. Jagger is a runner that's how he stays limber however I stopped tuning in to see the Stones after their terrible performance at the Supper Bowl half time show a few years back. I didn't see the SNL show but thought A 68 year old prancing around singing 'I Can't Get No Satisfaction' now made sense.

• designs
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The reason a soundtrack always sounds better than a live performance is there are many numerous electronic devises to make any vocalization

sound better.

I know this particularly for myself since I was once in the music business and had worked in many sound studios.

Something too to acknowledge is the Alfie soundtrack was done almost ten years ago.

I've seen the Stones perform live in concert many times and ever time I went I could hear a discernible lessening of Mick's vocal quality.

Take any 68 year old and tell him or her to bellow out some hard rock tunes and you'll probably see the same results.

Aggressive hard rock and age don't make for compatibility , at least not in a complementary way.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Back during the Clinton administration my boss walked into the accounting area and announced that he'd just heard something really terrifying on the radio: "Mick Jagger is older than the President of the United States."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit