The Great Debate: "Has Science Refuted Religion?

by dark angle 239 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Scientific research doesn't disprove the existence of a higher power, Q. That is something that cannot be disproved by science or anything else. Now, some long held beliefs can be disproved. For instance that the earth is flat, that was disproved.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    LOL! Cofty's Law.

I'm not sure this is a valid call on your part. I actually agree that this is the same sort of thinking we all once manifested. It is a good comparison.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

FHN - hang on . What do you mean that science cannot disprove the existence of a higher power? Can you explain what would disprove your god / faith / worldview? If you cannot then I hope you realise you have just totally disqualified your worldview. The strength of an idea rests upon its falsifiability and then the application of tests to see if it is still true. For example fossil proof of evolution would be ruined by modern day animal skeletons being found , non-intruded, in the earliest rock formations alongside the first fossils. Fossils would cease to be an evolutionary proof.

I gave both you and Tec a challenge earlier, define an aspect of your god that is a proof of your god and I will show a scientific or logical proof against it.

• tec
    tec

I have a whole thread for that, Q. Which you have read and commented upon. You cannot disprove the existance of a creator, and this you already know.

Is there a difference between 'a proof' and proof?

Can you explain what would disprove your god / faith / worldview?

If you could prove to me that there is/was no Christ (no 'Jesus'; though that was not his name), then I would be forced to accept that my faith in Him, and His Father, is misplaced. I might still be a deist though.

Peace,

tammy

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Q, you cannot prove there is no higher power. Most atheists know this. Science can refute a lot of things. It cannot prove there is no higher power.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

See, I am not one who believes Jesus was or is God. So whether he existed or not doesn't prove or disprove a higher power. Tammy, even if they prove Jesus didn't exist, it doesn't mean that there is not a higher power.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Tec - I bet you I can. Define something about your creator god. For example.

'My creator god, unlike the maize god or Zeus, made animals from fire and ash. The evidence for this is that when animals are heated sufficiently they return to fire and ash.'

I suggest the problem you may find is in defining a characteristic of your god that is essential.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

FHN - define higher power.

• tec
    tec

Tammy, even if they prove Jesus didn't exist, it doesn't mean that there is not a higher power.

I agree. But I think Q is asking about our particular... 'brand'... of God?

I don't think Jesus is God either. But all I know OF God, I know from Christ.

Peace,

tammy

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

If I say science cannot disprove a greener green then hopefully you will see that the problem occurs not in the proof stage but in the initial premise stage. Without the definition you just have nonsense.

Just to aid my point. What is the next highest power to which this highest power is compared? What types of power are there?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit