World map showing net reduction in publisher numbers

by cedars 188 Replies latest jw friends

• factfinder
    factfinder

Cedars- the fact that the km no longer publishes the averages seems to indicate they have gone down and they don't want the publishers to know this.

Make sense to you?

• mP
    mP

@factfinder

your logic makes perfect sense, given their past where they loved to boast and throw figures about.

Whats the bet they remove absolute membership figures from the yearbook in the near future.

• cedars
    cedars

factfinder - yes, it's fairly clear that publishing the monthly averages in the KMs was too embarrassing for them, and had to stop. I don't think it will be too long before the stats presented in the worldwide report follow suit. We'll be left with a truncated "cherry picked" version.

Cedars

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Thanks Cedars!

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

Kingdom Hall real estate flipping.

Regarding the 'unique' quick build Kingdom Hall construction.

I have been keeping watch for 4 years and the best I can tell gleaning from sifted news reports they SELL a K-Hall for everyone they build at least they seem to be in equilibrium.The trend may even be that they are in a net decrease.

The Society has NO shame or qualms about who they sell to either I mean their worst detractors,every kind of church,boy/girl scouts,day care,many funeral parlors,civic orgs.....

Oh and they don't seem to be the 2 day quick builds anymore,they take their time.

( Anecdote-I was a single building contractor so my skills were prized,and their were bros who were eaten up with frigging jealousy because the associated 'prestige' meant I could one up on competing for sisters)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There is a net increase in publishers year on year. I see what you are highlighting - that many publishers go AWOL - but calling a net increase a net decrease is confusing and inaccurate.

Plus the mortality rate is not a mere footnote. It accounts for a large proportion of the missing publishers.

• cedars
    cedars

woh slim! - I never said the mortality rate was a "footnote". Your word, not mine. I never even said I wouldn't factor it in in the future. It's just I try to look at things the way dubs would view it, and I am partly concerned that they would think I was tampering with the numbers if I incorporated "worldly" mortality statistics. Obviously, for the purpose of most people on this forum, that's irrelevant.

As for not calling it "net reduction", what would you call it? How can you call it net increase when most figures (apart from Mexico and a few smaller countries) indicate that people are leaving once baptisms are discluded?

Cedars

[edit post: yikes, you do come at me from left field sometimes! ]

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

Plus the mortality rate is not a mere footnote. It accounts for a large proportion of the missing publishers.

When it is convention off season the top news JW related is obituaries. There is a huge mortality of the baby boomer generation those who were young adults in the 1970's build up.

• steve2
    steve2

Factors on conversion and retention, such as Internet education, resulted in growth of 2 million instead of 6 million, just one third of that expected in 1995.

Besty, absolutely no argument with the clear and informative expected growth chart. Nice work! However, the attempt to explain the significantly lower than expected growth is a bit skimpy and hardly backed up by what we see happening among the JWs.

There is plenty of evidence at our local kingdom halls that sheer apathy rather than even a whiff of the internet has long been a factor in the stagnation and decline in numbers - and the Watchtower knows that the biggest threat to the organization is not so much apostasy (however loosely defined) but apathy.

Most here will be able to give a longish roll call of their JW peers raised in the religion who are no longer active but who are hardly interested in looking up information on the Watchtower in the internet. Of course, some do; but impressions are that most who backslide still retain some tacit sense that "it's" the truth.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

WOW Cedars. Thankyou for your hard work!

I wonder what these numbers would look like if it took more than 15 minutes of Field Service every 6 months to remain "Active". (I am certain many Secretaries are automaticly crediting those 15 minutes to boost stats).

If this site and information was translated into Spanish, and internet was more widespread in the 3rd world JW stats would be even lower.

Based on the number of "Dearest __you have inherited $$" emails I get from Nigeria, and your stats..internet service & English must be very widespread there!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit