Is this a joke or what?

by slimboyfat 22 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I am reading old Awakes! at the moment from the link that was posted recently and it's pretty surreal.

Check out this paragraph on page 16 of the January 8th magazine "What a man!"

Is it just a joke or is there more to it than that?

http://wtarchive.svhelden.info/archive/en/Awake/g1949.pdf

Plus a pretty sexist article about ageing on page 13.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Hmmm, probably meant to be funny.

What a magazine!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Strange just to publish a joke for no reason.

I was thinking this was from the era when they strongly discouraged having children, but I am probably over-analysing it.

In general the articles were much better written back then. Completely wacky of course, but they have a certain style and hold your attention.

• AnneB
    AnneB

I think it was meant to be a joke, kind of a precursor to "Watching The World", a magazine feature in later years. Strange!!!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It was a joke that appeared frequently in papers in the Depression and WWII eras. Sometimes it accompanied birth announcements.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Wow, lol. I can't believe they actually said this...

"When they wilt and fade other feminine flowers are there to replace them."

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Wow, lol. I can't believe they actually said this...
    "When they wilt and fade other feminine flowers are there to replace them."

WathtowerMan floats from flower to flower...

• Glander
    Glander

I recall the Awake publishing old jokes as if they were real incidents. One I recalled reading in the Readers Digest a year or two earlier.

Without writing the whole tedious thing, it was the one about the man hauling bricks up and down with a pulley. It was bascically the script for a Road Runner cartoon but they wrote it as though it had happened to real person. Even then I was somewhat taken aback by the blatant plagiarism.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Thanks Leolaia. I've got a feeling there's lots of interesting stuff yet to be gleaned from 1940s Consolations and Awakes! since they have been a bit of a black spot until recently in terms of WT literature readily available in electronic form. Earlier Golden Ages have been well plundered for inanities and shockers, and later Awakes! are on the CD ROMs, but 1940s magazines are ripe for scrutiny.

What strikes me is the air of self-confidence in the writing, even cockiness, that is absent nowadays. Look at the articles mocking people who believe in evolution as backward know-it-alls who have been unwittingly duped by a primitive mythology. The writer sounds like he really believes it too. Nowadays they don't sound nearly so convinced.

• blondie
    blondie

http://wtarchive.svhelden.info/archive/en/Awake/g1949.pdf

I can believe it, this is the same organization that compared young women to cows in heat.............

*** w61 12/15 p. 767 Questions From Readers ***Large herds of cattle, both male and female, wander over the plains feeding. Ordinarily the male or bull would not think of approaching the female or cow for sex purposes. If he did approach he would not receive a hearty welcome, but, rather, he might be gored by the cow’s horns. There is no petting or sex relations between bull and cow permitted, because the female is not in physical condition to breed. The bull seems to understand this and keeps in his own place. However, when the female of the species is in condition to breed, she makes the matter known. If there is no male in the herd, she will go elsewhere looking for one and she is unsettled until she finds one and then is bred by him. Now she is contented, and the end result is a calf. In this connection it is interesting to note that the male animal has no season at which he is not willing to engage in the breeding act.

If we humans would take a lesson from these creatures, we would learn something of importance in matters of sex, as to its purpose and the results of its operation.

As with a cow, when a young girl who has reached her puberty is in physical condition to conceive and become pregnant, her sex emotions are greatly aroused. If she has association with a boy, she is inclined to think that it is the sweetness of the “boy friend” that causes this delightful and new feeling, and so she becomes infatuated with him. If the boy friend should become sexually aroused and lets her know it and then she yields her body to the advances of the amorous boy friend, she is likely to become pregnant as a result of just one sex experience of this kind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit