This *has* to be from an "Awake!", right!?

by tomrobbins 15 Replies latest jw friends

• tomrobbins
    tomrobbins

It was posted on that ICanHasCheezeburger site...

At first it didn't load all the way as I was surfing their site (slow internet at my house), but the font of the title question struck me as reeeally familiar and I kept clicking on refresh to see the rest of the image... good lord.

He's got hella Mexican wool blankets though. I'd invite him to my party.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Young people ask book chapter 14 page 115

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Hey TOMROBBINS!

Along with Kurt Vonnegut, Mark Twain and Robert Coover, you were one of the authors I wasn't supposed to read as a kid! Who are you? Where do you come from?

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

This is a typical Jehovah witness kid who is not allowed to do anything FUN. His fun is going to the meetings 3 times a week, preparing for family study night with his family, going out in field circus all day long on saturday and Sunday after the talk, and watchtower study. Preparing for his talks on the theocratic ministry school and getting up there with major butterflies in his stomach.

No movies unless it's G rated, BORING, no holidays, no friends other than other jdubs who are not allowed to do the same things. This is the way we all looked like as young helpless j.w.'s. Oh, except the jdubs kids living a double life who are secretly partying, having sex, drinking, smoking pot, and leaving that poor man out because he was taught to narc on his fellow witnesses.

So, don't worry about him he is good to go. LOL!!!!!!!

Kojack

• tomrobbins
    tomrobbins

wasblind- nice recall. So... were you a lonely-on-Sat-nights kind of guy?? ;-)

hey B o C :) Nice taste in books! I totally wanted to marry Tom Robbins :-P

I'm actually the poster "Kudra". Signed in on another person's account... I need to get my original password back...

Not many books were banned at my house except the "spiritistic" ones... I was WAY into Lois Duncan (if you were in middle/high school in the 80s/early 90s you would know her...) and the like, and those books were verboten around my place. Boohoo.

"Where do you come from?" Are you talking physical location? CA, CO, and AZ. Where do you come from?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Yes, I remember the AW article about it and also from YPA book too.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

He should go out in service more. That way he will gain true friends that will be his friends long into the new order.

I

• tomrobbins
    tomrobbins

Kojak: Yeah I know... it is that way for a lot of JW kids... I was fortunate enought to have a lot of fun growing up though. We were in a fairly rural area that was close enough for a day's drive to a big city so we had the best of both worlds. A lot of fun outdoors activities, dance parties and driving to the city. Some of us got into trouble, some of us didn't. I had a lot of fun, drank a little, didn't get into much trouble.

I was stifled a little by the whole college thing and only did community college and moved out of state to put my awesome Associate of Arts degree to work. Finally decided that I'd like more college and after a few years of that decided that the JW religion was full o' hot air.

I have had a good life since. I try not to think of the way I was held back by buying into the whole JW thing for the first ~26 years of my life (with a little residual "remedialness" in the education/social area for a few years after that). I am really lucky for all of the opportunities that I have had.

TR/K

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

TOMROBBINS - I thought you were a newbie and just happened to notice your name. No, I don't literally need to know where you come from, just curious about your history [Kudra]. I come from Bethel territory. Lucky me.

Actually, and I'm not sure how or why, but I started reading Robbins later in life (late 20's early 30's) and it most certainly contributed to some of my early doubts. Wild stuff!

Never really wanted to marry Tom Robbins. I much prefer women (he does seem quite sensitive, though. . .)

• Joliette
    Joliette

I remember this. Its from the young people ask book. I used to get lonely like this growing up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit