The difference between a religion and a cult

by avatar 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

i find it very narrow to classify a difference between religion and cult, what about other aspects like mind control or some modules in hassans B.I.T.E.?

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey avatar!

Priceless!

From my perspective and experience all religions are cults. It is just the degree that varies.

All religions contain elements of enslavement and control. All seek ways of impinging on basic human rights, freedoms and function.

• talesin
    talesin

Good one.

t

• mindseye
    mindseye

LOL. Honestly, though, I think those at the top in cults don't always think it's a scam. Most of the time they've deluded themselves into thinking it's real too.

As far as the difference between a religion and a cult, the main difference is that you can leave a religion with little or no social and psychological repercussions. For instance, I attend a Buddhist temple off-and-on, and when I'm busy go long periods without attending. No one harrasses me or makes me feel bad for not going. A cult does not allow for such autonomy.

• cofty
    cofty

all religions are cults. It is just the degree that varies.

This!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

A sound religion teaches people about their soul, and how to interact with the universe. The person might not be able to make it work, but at least the religion is designed to help.

A cult is a system that controls people's thinking, makes them afraid to look past itself for answers, and ultimately leads to damnation. Judaism, Christi-SCAM-ity, and Islam are all cults--and there are even worse cults within each one that do even worse damage to people.

• oompa
    oompa

niiiiiiiiice avatar....where did you find that?........so simple.......oompa

• Jack C.
    Jack C.

We can always rely on Mark Twain for a bit of wisdom concerning religion and politics:

" In religion and politics, peoples beliefs and convictions are almost in every case gotten at second hand and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue, but have taken them at second hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."

Jack

• sabastious
    sabastious

Are you saying that Jesus Christ was a scam artist?

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit