Would you support "Open Carry" legislation in your state?

by Glander 71 Replies latest social current

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Open carry....NO! Concealed carry.....YES! All open carry will do is scare people. Concealed carry is for your own protection and that of others.

HappyDad (who carries a concealed .380 S & W semi or my .38 special +P snub nose).

P.S. Everyone who gets the carry permit should have to go through some type of training though!

If you are going to take the responsibility of maybe having to lethaly defend yourself or others, then you need to know how to do it properly. Not just fire at random!

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Defensive Gun Uses

There is considerable debate regarding the number of times firearms are used each year to fend off violent criminals. Much of the uncertainty is due to the fact that defensive gun uses are often limited to the would-be victim displaying a firearm which scares away the perpetrator. Such incidents are seldom reported to government agencies, which explains the lower estimates by such agencies. The annual estimates are as follows:

No. of Defensive Uses Source
    2.1 million Point Blank: Guns & Violence in America, Gary Kleck
    700,000 Mauser study
    650,000 Hart study
    108,000 1993 National Crime Victim Survey
    76,000 1996 National Crime Victim Survey

Significantly, even using the lowest estimate, 76,000 violent crimes are prevented by armed citizens each year. Thus, the number of violent crimes thwarted by armed citizens is about four times the annual murder rate.

http://www.gac.20m.com/facts_you_can_use.htm

• NCO
    NCO

Justitia, there is a high level of responsibility that comes with carrying a firearm. They outnumbered the victim and attempted to bully him both with their irresponsible display of sidearms as well as the fact that they outnumbered him. If this group of rude jerks didn't have sidearms, their behavior would still have been the same because they're a bunch of rude jerks.

I cringe when I read stories like yours because the actions of a few reflect badly upon open carriers as a whole. Were I the victim of this, or even a witness to the incident, I'd have been raising holy hell with the Sheriff's Office and escalating it right on up the food chain in the state. Those who act so irresponsibly with firearms should face serious consequences.

Now with that said, I found your stereotype to be offensive and it really detracted from the point you were trying to make. Your post would have stood just fine on its own without it.

• NCO
    NCO

@ Botch

Nope, not a Ranger. Just a REMF E-5 in a State Guard unit. But the Army lets us train on and play with the fun stuff at taxpayer expense anyway.

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

Nicolaov: Your a dumb English asshole what do you know. That's why american's separated from your pussy ignorance.

Kojack

• TD
    TD

Well, I respect both Simon and nicolaou, but I really think you have to live here. Maybe they're both quadruple black belts and death on two feet, but I'm not. I can't fight a man swinging a tire iron with my bare hands when he's 30 years younger than me and 100 pounds heavier.

I would ask my friends accross the pond; when was the last time this happened to you? When was the last time a man who spoke no English tried to split your head with a tire iron in broad daylight? When was the last time you came face to face with a bear? When was the last time you were attacked by a wild animal of any kind? When was the last time you were 100 kilometers from any emergency services of any kind?

• Glander
    Glander

Well put, TD.

Botch, thanks for the stats on defensive uses of a firearm by citizens who apparently don't want to be victims without a fight.

Justitia - the answer to your query.

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

Nope. No interest in guns.

• tornapart
    tornapart

James Brown: It must be nice to live in England or Canada.

Yes! After reading all this stuff I feel more than happy to be in England!!

TD: I really think you have to live here.

TD: After everything you've just said?! I think NOT!!

Think the murder rate is 5 times higher in the US than the UK.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Nicolaov: Your a dumb English asshole what do you know. That's why american's separated from your pussy ignorance.

Intelligent points articulately made. You've convinced me, I bow to your clearly superior argument and look forward to visiting the U.S.A and it's lovely, politely armed people.

Nic'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit