Pioneers and Their Way of Counting "Time"

by Eiben Scrood 32 Replies latest jw friends

• whathehadas
    whathehadas

This Time Counting is the most ridiculous thing ever invented by the Dubbs. Just to think of all the pressure from the WT and fellow dubbs to get into pioneering, when there is no specific and accurate method for keeping a tract of time. DO THE WT NEED A KRONOS SYSTEM TO ACCURATELY KEEP A COUNT OF THIS? Imagine all the dubbs with a time card running back and forth to the Kronos clock at their local Kingdom hall. Would be a funny sight LOL

• BreathoftheIndianNose
    BreathoftheIndianNose

My favorite calls to do we're in the country. Drive for 30 mins only to find the person not at home, then head back. Two Tim Horton stops along the way were necessary of course. But paying for the gas was a real bitch. Come to think of it, service was damn expensive. Coffee, breakfast, coffee again, lunch, snacks, another coffee. Then there is all the gas you burn. Plus lost wages for the days service would work. Expensive! I did choose it though, so I'm not blaming anyone for it. Just thinking out loud. What was the thread again? Oh ya! Well I pretty much counted my time in ways that would make a nonexistent god shudder. Maybe that's one reason I never felt good about my ministry.

IndianNose

• FatFreek 2005
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

This highlights the sheer waste of it all. Any worthwhile activity doesn't need these shortcuts and cheating. But, when you accomplish nothing whether you waste 15 minutes or 200 hours, people are going to cheat so they can pious-sneer.

The worst part, however, is not the individuals that cheat on their field circus times. It is when they get invited to a Grand Boasting Session and rant about how they are able to get 200 hours a month despite working 2 full time jobs with a family to support. Nothing is said about the cheating, yet the hours are used to guilt everyone in the audience into doing 200 hours a month. "If this person can get 200 hours a month, why can't YOU get 70?" is a common threat given by parents and hounders alike, often insinuating that you will get destroyed unless you get more field circus time in. Never mind that anyone can write "200" on a time slip. You can write week by week, counting 50 bogus hours per week and bogus placements (which never amount to anything), adding up to 200 or 250 hours a month, turn in the damn slip, and actually do nothing.

• theBGB
    theBGB

lol thats amazing FF. I'm sure this exact situation occurs all the time almost word for word

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

I used to count time as long as my tie was on.

Now I write whatever number on my report I think will keep the hounders at bay. Almost 3 months now, no actual field circus!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I remember some years ago in our cong that a group of pionsneers would get out one morning at a ridiculously early time 4am ish in a couple of car groups and do 24hour gas stations and ATM's all over the place well outside the territory, some would be able to turn in 16-20 hours some days.

• steve2
    steve2

Absolutely none of this is new. It's been going on for decades. As long as leaders put arbitrary requirements on people, those people learn how to bend the rules.

Beides, JWs are unassertively notorious GB pleasers. People pleasers learn how to bend the facts when their leaders aren't in sight.Carloads of us witnesses who were pioneering loved rural territory when we were wanting to get in several hours in one hit: We'd drive long distances to our "preferred destination" where - surprise surprise - no one was home. We'd turn around and drive all the way back. Each person in the car would be adding up several hours of pioneering. Better yet were visits to country folk we knew would give us a warm welcome and we'd put our feet up lending some creedence to its supposedly being a Bible Study. We'd spend hours there, chatting, drinking coffee, tossing a magazine on the table where it lay unread.

We'd hit the city boundary hours later, do a cursory not-at-home and call it quits for the day. BTW, even by the early 1970s here in New Zealand we counted time during generously lengthy lunch breaks. Of course, we were pretty discreet about it because every congregation has a few JWs who self-righteously and miserably do everything by the book. To them we tried to come across as model pioneers, ensuring our hours were spotlessly accurate.

What enabled us to bend the hour rules when we were otherwise adherent to the letter of every other Watchtower demand? Deep down we knew that the "hours" requirement was an arbitrary man-made requirement. Once you get your head around that, bending the rules was no problem whatsoever.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Captain Obvious >> Nowadays, what is a good ballpark figure to keep the hounders off?

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

I see it as part of the entrapment. I was talking to someone who was a pioneer before they left. He didn't really work, not in school, and really worked at pioneering. He said it is impossible to get the time in. That he feels it is designed to be ...close but no cigar...forcing you to fudge the numbers. Once you do that, they got ya. You are now a conspirator, and trapped. Once you start really lying for these men, you tie yourself to them in a new way, making it even harder to break free.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit