If you knew that a murder was going to take place......

by Sour Grapes 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    I love the Watchtower-esque use of the phrase " choose to not believe in God." I don't choose to NOT believe in God anymore than you choose to NOT believe in the tooth fairy. I've yet to see reason and evidence to support the existence of any traditional concepts of a deity.

An attitude of belief or non-belief is a choice. You choose not to believe in God. Others do.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

As much as you choose not to believe in the tooth fairy, yes.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I choose not to believe in the tooth fairy. So that is a choice.

• SweetBabyCheezits
  • SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

To be completely honest, I've not landed on a precise decision in what I think about a nebulous force that might be called Spinoza's "god". I don't know, nor do I feel compelled to say one way or another with any certainty.

At the very least, I disagree with your selection of words. My choice is to not be premature in explaining the unexplained.

So if you give me A, B, or C as options, I can refuse to choose any of them.

"Ah but in refusing to choose you're still making a choice!"

Seriously?

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

You still have made a choice! Seriously!

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

LOL.. this sounds like Rush Freewill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpCASVFyQoE

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Great song.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Burns: You still have made a choice! Seriously!

Dammit, Burns. Gaaaaahhh, I hate debating minutia like this.

You can accurately say that I choose not to buy the concept of the Judeo-Christian god. That's true. But exactly how much time do I have to consider other possible definitions of "god" before you label me as having made my choice? I didn't know I was on the clock. Is there some cosmic Jeopardy song playing somewhere?

While a jury is still out deliberating, you'd be premature to say that they'd made their choice while they're still reviewing the case.

Again, I've not reached a solid conclusion on what I think about some nebulous, universal force that might be called Spinoza's "god". I don't know, nor do I feel compelled to say one way or another with any certainty. And you can't say that I've already chosen. The jury is still out.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Again, I've not reached a solid conclusion on what I think about some nebulous, universal force that might be called Spinoza's "god".

Required reading for anyone cast out of a cult for engaging in free thought.

http://www.amazon.com/Spinoza-A-Life-Steven-Nadler/dp/0521002931/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1336691320&sr=8-11

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit