Who are the most reliable Common Sense Posters?

by Celtic 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Celtic
    Celtic

Who are the most reliable common sense posters in this community that can be relied upon to help out others the most? Can you describe your online friends positive qualities? How has this person or persons helped you?

Peace

Celtic

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

well, I knew I'd be editing this post. *sigh*
    My answers were honest. No popularity contest or clique here.
    In the words of my 9th grade English teacher Mr. Totah, "There are no right or wrong answers here...I just want your opinion people!! So commence with the writing!"

A special shout out to all you reliable, common sense posters who didn't respond to this thread. lol

• nelly136
    nelly136

Redhorsewoman, 2nd to none with the mounting block
    nelly

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I have to admit I groan whenever I see "who is your favourate...", "who are the most x...", "who are the most y..." threads.

If someone makes a contribution that is appreciated, then thanking them in context on that thread, or privately is fine to me.

But whole threads that can end up like picking teams in school? Why should we have lists that elevate one poster above another in terms of popularity/willy size/common sense or whatever? To me it smacks of elitism and favouratism. You can see people basically backing those that they agree with... which has nothing to do with 'common sense'. It's too clichy for me.

I think EVERYONE contributes something... even if it's a negative something... yup, even the likes of You Know and Yadirf contribute something here... I suppose it's something like a musician being asked who influenced them. They might say 'Neil Young', but the fact is 'Motley Crue' were an influence on them as well (except on how they don't want to be like).

Knowing Celtic a little, this is probably the furthest thing from his mind, so please don't take this as a personal dig Mark - I got nothing against you, it's just the subject.

I also realise that being an over anal Brit, public praise and acclaim are something that "just isn't done", no matter whether it is applied to someone else or oneself. Save the £ucking world, and a nod, pursed lips and raised eyebrows are quite enough recogniton thank you very much!

When I was running the Customer Services for Bose in the UK, they sent people over from the 'States to 'train us'. When someone made a good call, the American trainers would talk to them like they had succesfully done a poo in a potty... "Good job!" ARGH! I hate that, and I know everyone on my team cringed when it was done to them... apart from the Kiwi, but he was the closest thing to a 6'2" labrador puppy in a shirt and tie I have ever met ("Like me! Like me! Go on! I'm cute! Like me! YOU LIKE ME! YAHOOOOOO!").

I don't know if my reaction to this is 'right', but it is the reaction I have, and I wonder if anyone else groans whenever they see a poll like this on the board? Am I being overly British, what?

(edited for flipped formatting bracket)

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I nominate Abaddon. Good job, Gyles!

--
    "Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there. Theologians can persuade themselves of anything." -Robert A. Heinlein

• Prisca
    Prisca

One of the quieter but better posters on this site is Ozziepost (don't get embarrassed Ozzie ).

Without giving too much about him away, Ozzie has had much experience in the Borg on many many levels. He knows what it's like to be in the spotlight as a Dub, and also what it's like to walk away from life-long friends and family who shun him. He and Mrs Ozzie has offered me and others help in leaving the Borg, and has much wisdom and experience to share. He's friendly, discerning, generous, and a good conversationalist.

And he's a good bloke.

• larc
    larc

There are many here that I think are very good, but if I include in the criteria, my personal knowledge, I would have to say my vote is for: NotinService. I met him 20 years ago and took an immediate liking to him. He is an outgoing, friendly person, with a great sense of humor. He is also very generous. He has a large mailing list and often sends material out to his friends. At one time, he sent may wife and I two important books, even though we had not communicated in some time.

He is a great man.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

funkyderek; Argh!

Your response was possibly the finest tribute to Spike Milligan I have read, nice one!

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

::::::::::::::I don't know if my reaction to this is 'right', but it is the reaction I have, and I wonder if anyone else groans whenever they see a poll like this on the board? Am I being overly British, what?

Abaddon I guess others appreciate them, but I see little point in them. There are a number of people here who have expressed thoughts of not feeling part of it here. Having it reinforced that their posts aren't valued as sensible or reliable won't help them much.

So while we are on this topic I just want to say that I found Skeptic and Windriders public display of mutual adoration on the board today over the top. If we all start raving about how superb our partners are this board will become extremely boring!

Marilyn

• BATHORY
    BATHORY

I agree fully with abaddon's above statement about this thread, but having said that...

Ozzipost wins it for me, not because he is my favorite poster ( or poser )but because he is good for the forum in a unique way. The bugger always has something intelegent and fair to say, it seeming like his real opinion not just agreeing with everyone.

Also as far as i can remember he is one of the only blokes that tells people off or antaganises in a percurely respectful and classy way, coupled with a genuine aussie humor. Most of all he isnt over stated here, unlike .......well thats another post huh !!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit