Would you sacrifice yourself to save other people?

by Lore 34 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods

Maybe a better (more realistic) scenario would be as a passenger on the Titannic, would you (as a young man) have tried to crowd onto a lifeboat, or would you have saved your space for the women and children?

That is not a split-second decision: You would have to stand there and think about it for quite a while.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I'd probably die trying to make the decision.

No, I dont carry a donor card.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Depends on the people

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Lore:

No. I hate questions like this because the religion tried to instill this idea of sacrifice in everybody. The problem is that they wanted YOU to sacrifice for somebody ELSE, namely them. What a crock and it makes me angry just to think about it. I also felt there were people in the congregations who imagined you were going to give them your last crust of bread. I hated all that shit talk about times of "persecution" when your so-called brother was going to help you. Meanwhile, they don't say hello, have all sorts of class distinctions and cliques. Yeah, a likely brotherhood. So, was I going to sacrifice for them. I think not.

So my answer would be No: except if it were to save a child of mine.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Talespin,

Lift your head up, you only have to mean somthin' to yourself

that's what really count. I always tell my daughter

can't nobody on this earth love you better than you

can love yourself

And when you think like that talespin, that's when you start

treatin' yourself better, and you won't allow anyone to treat you

anyless

treat yourself like the most treasured person on the earth

don't wait for anyone else to do it. start today

Luv Wuz

• wasblind
    wasblind

double post

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Answer to 1: Dive at the grenade and throw it at the lunatic.

Answer to 2: I already am signed up to donate my organs after I die, so that others can live.

Hi Lore, what is your point for asking these questions?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

1. I would probably run, unless they were my children or maybe some other young children, which I would attempt to grab and take with me. I am not a hero. I did stand in front of my younger brother once, when I

was 15 and he was 12, and took a beating with a belt from my father. Don't know why I did that!! Instinct I guess.

I agree with cofty

2. Not a chance and neither should anybody else. I am stunned by Talesin's reply. Morality is not a matter of arithmetic.

Talesin, you are essential to YOUR happiness and you do not know what the future holds for you. Like you, few would grieve if I died, but you know, I think that is true of the majority of people.

LongHairGal, I agree with your assessment of what those in the congregation said and thought. If the great tribulation ever was to come, it would be every man/family for himself/herself/themselves.

When people have asked me for what I myself need and they want, I just say, You should have brought your own extra oil for your lamp!!

• talesin
    talesin

dearest Cofty, wasblind, and panhandlegirl ... it's not what you think. I agree with what all of you have said. You don't know my circumstances, and I will leave it at that. Much love to you all!

t

• tec
    tec

1. I don't know. I think what would come from that would be a refle x ive reaction; not a thinking reaction. My guess is that I would freeze, or dive for cover, but you never know.

2. No, not while I was still living. If I could save/ease the suffering of a loved one, perhaps, especially one of my children. But it doesn't work that way, or people would be doing it left right and center for their children and spouses. (there's a movie about that, btw... John Q; I think its Denzel Washington who plays the father who takes an ER hostage to do just that)

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit