Would you sacrifice yourself to save other people?

by Lore 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Lore
    Lore

Hypothetically:

You are in a room with two other people. You barely know them, but they are kind of nice people. They are both asleep.

Suddenly a lunatic runs in and throws a grenade between the three of you.

Do you push one of them off their bed onto the grenade.

Do you throw yourself on the grenade and save the other two.

Or do you run away.

OK, Think about that and answer it, then look at scenario number 2:

Thanks to modern medicine, we can use your heart to save 1 person, your lungs to save 2 people, your liver to save 1 person, your kidneys to save 2 people.

Lets say that if we killed you now and took you apart, we could save 10 lives with your organs.

Do you sacrifice yourself to save the 10 people?

What if you know one of them is a really nice person and they'll die by the end of the day unless they get a lung?

What if all 10 of those people are nice people who will die without your organs?

In the first case, you save 2 human lives.

In the second case, you save 10 human lives.

• talesin
    talesin

1. I don't know - that would be a 'heat of the moment' split-second decision.

2. Yes.

tal

• Lore
    Lore
    2. Yes.

Oh.

Well that was unexpected. . .

Then, if I can ask this without sounding like I want you to kill yourself:

Why don't you? There's a lot of people waiting on organs and pretty much no hope that there will be enough to save them all.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Well A true (Bad Story).....

In my Very Very Very BAD Drinking Days!!!!!!

I snuck to a Packy while I was Working ....in a Official Vehicle......... so I had to make this Quick and Very Very Sneaky!!!!

As I had my Beer and walking to the Truck.... I noticed a Car rolling in to well it is called "Main Street" For a reason with 2 children in the car.................. An Infant in a car seat in the back.... and a 5 yr old who was behind the wheel of a car not running .... but who put the car in N......... so it rolled!!! The 5 yr old Sreaming Hysterically the infant also crying............ Shit CBJ.....what to do????

Dropped the beer jumped in the NOW FAST ROLLING CAR INTO CERTAIN DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!

Hit the Stop Pedal........... Put the Car in Park! Mom Comes out OUT OF HER MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're a hero You're a Hero Sir!!!!!!

Hell No I'm Not I'm about to get FIRED!!!!!!!!!!

I left while she was Asking my name...... and thanking me........ Saying It Was NOTHIN!!!!!

If it were a bag of Chips!!

Damn Right I would of Hung Out LOL...............

Instead... I live with the Knowlege of knowing............ Yes I would Risk My Life And JOB for a Stranger....(especially a KID)

• wasblind
    wasblind

Would I donate my organs???? Yes

would I end my life voluntarily just to do it ??? No

they can have them when I no longer need them

call me selfish but, I don't intend to compete with the Christ

when it come to sacrifice

• jam
    jam

Every young man and woman that have and now serving

in the military are doing that, big time.

• talesin
    talesin

Aside from suiciding on the steps of the hospital, that would be pretty much impossible.

wasblind - no, I am not trying to be noble - I feel that people who have children, family, and can lead a productive life instead of what mine has become, would be worth saving. Me? meh, there's a few who would grieve, but I am essential to no one's happiness.

tal

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

1. not sure

2. I'm not healthy enough to be a donor but I've thought about donating my body to science, more specifically a body farm. If I were healthy enough to be organ donor, I honestly don't know.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

I guess I didn't answer right..............

as I did that day!!!

I have no Idea unless I'm in that ..."Spot" and if it is nobel............

I might not like my Answer!!!!

I am a very Selfish person!

Yet many a time done things I never thought Possible for others.....

Because .....

I really do Hate People LOL

maybe.......

• cofty
    cofty

1. I hardly know the people - no I would not die for them. If escape was an option that's what I would do. If the 2 people were family I would fall on the grenade, no question at all in my mind about that.

2. Not a chance and neither should anybody else. I am stunned by Talesin's reply. Morality is not a matter of arithmetic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit