How Do JWs View Gluttony?

by Bubblegum Apotheosis 28 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Articles have said that fat doesn't automatically mean gluttony as the issue of weight is complex. And this is true to a degree.

Now I know a very heavy person that read a little snippet on gluttony and their conscience started bothering them. They wondered if they could be guilty. Personally I don't believe in the concept of sin, and I simply saw them as emotional eaters. Anyway the went to the elders and said they were concerned that they were guilty. The elders said that it was kind of like apostasy---if you are AFRAID you are guilty (cuz real apostates aren't afraid) then you probably are not guilty.

Thank goodness all that was settled, now it's back to the all-you-can-eat where we can graze for hours.

What is a glutton? Many would consider me to be a glutton, despite the fact that my body is very lean and athletic, because I eat 7,000 - 10,000 calories per day.

Folks, I make no apologies. I love eating. I am a huge fan of the old Iron Chef show (the real one; with Chairman Kaga, Hiroyuki Sakai, Chen Kenichi, and Rokusaburo Michiba) and strive to prepare unique and tasty culinary creations on a regular basis. Food is one of my greatest and costliest passions in life!

So, eat eat eat folks! Being full is not a good reason to stop or reduce your eating. Eat Eat Eat! GLUTTONY IS GOOD!

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

noni1974's mum avoided being disfellowshipped for gluttony by going on a crash course diet - she got reproved instead:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/199901/1/Can-you-get-Dfd-for-Gluttony

I think this is more of an exception as it's an issue that is normally totally ignored.

I found it hypocritical that JW's could be obese given how strong the bible is on the matter. They are very happy to punish people for plenty of obscure things that are not in the bible yet overlook something that is obvious to every other JW and householder on fs.

Maybe this is a result of it being an American religion and they do not want to lose so many of their American members. Had the HQ been in a country where obesity was not a problem then I'm sure it would have been considered up there with smoking or blood.

The WBTS actively police their members but this would be very difficult to do where gluttony is concerned. On a humorous note what could they possibly do? Weight is a factor but there are numerous medical conditions that could cause or contribute to being overweight. Also what if someone slim eats loads and someone prone to putting on weight eats little? Would they introduce scales at the Kindon hall and have monthly weigh-ins with results put on the monthly report? Also would increasing body weight by a certain % in a month constitute gluttony even if the JW is only a little overweight? One things is for sure - any solution to obesity that the WBTS provides would be revolve around increased field service.

mmxiv

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

the above made me laugh out loud

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I remember a couple of witlesses that waddled into the Kingdumb Hell. No, not just the ones that are regular fat. I mean two of them that required special accommodations because they were too fat to sit in a regular chair. One of them required a walker because of being extremely fat.

Now, I cannot judge how much they ate. Some of them have severe chakra or metabolic (or both) problems. People can get very fat eating surprisingly little if their metabolisms have been poisoned by monosodium glutamate or too much soy (soy oil, except lecithin, is also fattening), too much fluoride, high fructose corn syrup, a damaged liver from aspartame or sucralose (aspartame also ruins your brain), or because they are not getting enough iodine. Cutting back on these poisons will "put out the fire". However, not only are they still going to be fat because the fat is there, but their metabolism may well be fxxxed up. These steps will not "build the house back". And diet can aggravate it by slowing your metabolism even more.

Another thing that can result in or aggravate obesity is chakra imbalance. The solar plexus chakra is the one that controls this. If that is working properly, your metabolism and desires for food will be in balance. However, if that chakra is closed, you will be seeking to fulfill your desires by eating too much. Eating while not hungry is a symptom of this problem. Notably, the witless lifestyle where everything is decided for you encourages this particular problem.

Lack of sleep, not getting enough steady exercise, and stress also contribute to the problem. Stress is a major problem within the religion--I think the stress of the religion itself is worse than that of changing religions, even going from being a witless to being a Satanist (though, they add more stress by ruining families for doing this). All these factors are worse among the witlesses because of the ridiculous demands they place on members.

Yet, I have heard scattered reports on people being hounded to lose weight. Not widespread--but you might get a hounder-hounder that thinks you should lose weight. Trouble is, every time you are on the right path, someone else comes along and says that your hours are suffering, or that something you do amounts to martial arts or spiritism (Tae Bo, for instance). Result: You can't lose anything. And they wonder why so many of them go waddling out of the Kingdumb Hells.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Bubblegum:

I think gluttony is a sin of yesteryear which is why you don't hear the term very often. We are not in the age where people think being fat is a sign of prosperity as once was the case. This was a mentality over a century ago but might still have a vestige or two somewhere in the world. Also, the Roman empire with its vomitoriums is long over. For the most part, we now live in a thin-oriented world. Just open any fashion magazine no matter what country in the western world.

I know there are exceptions to this rule, but nowadays when you see people who are very overweight they are certainly not trying to be that way on purpose. They are probably suffering and trying every diet imaginable. I also think the large percentage of overweight young people in the U.S. has something to do with food additives that may stimulate appetite or somehow mess up how people's bodies use glucose.

So, if you don't hear this term much in JW land it is because it is a non-issue (morally, at least). Healthwise - well, that's another thing.

• sir82
    sir82

How do JWs view gluttony?

By taking the visiting speaker to "Golden Corral" after the Sunday meeting!

Plenty of gluttony on display there.....

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

Isaiah 55: 2 "Why do you people keep paying out money for what is not bread, and why is your toil for what results in no satisfaction? Listen intently to me, and eat what is good, and let your soul find its exquisite delight in fatness itself.". (NWT)

So what lesson do we gleen from this scripture my dear brothers and sisters? Spiritual fatness and physical fatness is all GOOD.

So eat drink and be merry, because tomorrow we will see the jdubs pay for their sins.

Kojack

• tiki
    tiki

It can't be too big a problem, there are enough of them that are humungous..........by and large they are not health-conscious....except to whine and wail about how miserable they are and how they can't wait for the new world to be healed of it all....but things like diet, exercise, self-help are swept under the rug.......

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

The problem is it's very hard to prove! Being in service (sitting in cars and breaks mostly) all the time leaves little time for excercise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit