What are some of your favorite urban legends?

by BQE 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Xander
    Xander

THAT must have been a HELL of a consolation for the families that had members killed!!

Well, it was, actually. See, they obviously weren't looking down at their scriptures. Hence, they were unspiritual and would have died at armegeddon anyway. But, now, they will be resurrected!! Huzzah!!

Then I heard the same stories regardingd Catholic nuns, Mother Theresa, protestant missionaries, etc.

And I've heard of spells that do the same thing.

OTOH, when I was a young witness in a poor family, we prayed for help ALL THE TIME. Rarely got any, but it was never in the exact dollar amount we prayed for.

Makes you think. Witnesses attract poor members. Poor members pray for monetary help a LOT. Other members (not so poor) help poor members occasionally. Logic dictates that, periodically, chance will allow for the 'prayed for' amount to equal what was given.

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • heathen
    heathen

I remember reading a story in a watchtower publication where a man in mexico who was a member of the police force converted to the jw and quit the police force just days before a bomb went off in the pricinct building killing everyone in the building. I know I read plenty of stories similar to the ones mentioned .I remember another story told by jw I know about a hat that was demon possesed ,everytime someone wore the hat they became ill,needless to say they sold the hat at the next garage sale.}:)

• Swan
    Swan

There was one about a brother who kept speeding after he bought a pair of second hand shoes. It turns out the shoes were possessed by a demon who made the brother become a lead foot.

Another one I heard was where they ran a computer program to calculate the positions of celestial bodies backward through history. The computer broke down for some reason every time they ran the program. Then one of the scientists had an idea and altered the program to allow for a 24 hour period where the sun stood still for Joshua. The program worked!

I also liked the ones in Quotes' site about people who changed their skin color through prayer. It reminds me of the ones where they claim prayer can turn gay people straight.

Tammy

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I remember the story about a JW woman who was on a business trip in Chicago. She was nervous being alone in a big city, and quickly got to her hotel. As she got on the hotel elevator, a group of African-American men got on the elevator with her. It was then one of them said "hit the floor", which she did. But she went to the literal floor and not the floor button on the elevator pad. She later learned this was Lionel Richie's entourage and he sent her flowers saying "thanks for the greatest laugh."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit