Awake 6/2012: YPA – Are we just friends — or more? pt.1 (with running snarkiness)

by corpusdei 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• corpusdei
    corpusdei

Disillusioned Lost-Lamb>> Well, it seemed to work out well for Paul (though not so much for Timothy).

And no, I'm still completely unable to get over that whole circumcision thing. Just ... damn.

Magwitch>> No kidding. As someone who grew up reading these, I personally find it creepy how completely the WTBTS works to inculcate the dogma in kids. What teen, especially a Witness teen, isn't scared, confused, and searching for answers? As far as I'm concerned, the WTBTS exploits that vulnerability, providing a thinly veiled “Do what we tell you, don’t question us, and everything will be fine” message, over and over and over again. It's a move that'd make Phillip Morris proud - hook'em while they're young!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Haha this is awesome. DO MORE!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Holy crap... this article is like a "How to cock-tease boys and make sure they never leave the friend zone."

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

- In your opinion, does texting make it easier to get emotionally involved than face-to-face discussions do? Why, or why not? I don't feel like the appropriate person to answer that question. Most of my texts begin with "Don't judge me, but ..."

LOL!

• Listener
    Listener

Social networking for youths is generally one of their major focuses. The basic message the Watchtower is giving is not to develop an emotional or meaningful relationship with a person of the opposite sex. No wonder they're leaving in droves.

Most JW youths readily accept that having sex is not okay, although it is a stumblying block and difficult but to curtail their activities as far as social involvement is going too far for many of them. It goes against their nature and they are going through a very important stage in their development.

• ziddina
  • sd-7
    sd-7

I'd been thinking not that long ago that something happened to me as a teenager that I still hadn't fully understood. I feel like this thread just gave me a lead to follow. In all this time I never deconstructed the Young People Ask stuff. This thread reminded me of how my perception of women was shaped primarily by fear and guilt. They really were as much of a bogeyman as fornication itself was to me. All of this paves the way for an emotionally distant relationship with one's mate in the future, as one has never really had anything beyond that until one is an adult. Hmm. Got more work to do.

--sd-7

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

I never thought about Paul circumcising Timothy. Gross.

Great commentary.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

More rubbish to separate the genders. This creates hang-ups that do not go away when people marry, and results in a certain amount of homosexuality that otherwise would not have been there. It also creates suspicion between the genders, along with an excuse for hounders to keep them apart and stick their noses where they do not belong.

And, with homosexuality increasingly open (and right it should be, because when it is not created by hang-ups, it is just as natural as heterosexuality), I wonder how long it will be before they start putting out rubbish like this about two people of the same sex.

• BroMac
    BroMac

corpusdei - i needed a good laugh. thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit