Jesus told A lie, John 7:8-10

by jam 22 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jam
    jam

What do you think? Did he tell his brothers A lie?

John 7:8-10 (8) Go to the feast yourselves; I am not

going up to this feast for my time has not yet fully

come. (9) So saying, he remained in Galilee.

(10) But after his brothers had gone up to the feast,

then he also went up, not publicly but in private.

That.s A lie in my book.

• still thinking
    still thinking

It's not a lie...it's bible wibble....the bible does not lie... ROFL

• tec
    tec

Or he changed his mind.

Or the translation is incorrect:

"You go to the Feast. I am not YET going up to this Feast..." NIV translation.

His brothers wanted him to declare himself, and Christ knew that this was not yet that time. So He did not go with them. He went according to His father's will, and not their purpose.

Peace,

tammy

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The bible is full of lies, haven't you found that out yet? You don't even need to get past Genesis 1:1 to find a lie.

• mP
    mP

Jesus told many lies, the Bible contains the first change in definition of generation. THe WTS was not the first in saying that some generation( the 1914ers) would see the end, Jesus said the same to his own apostles in the first century.

Go figure...

• glenster
    glenster

These work:

For the first one, the time came so he went.

For the second, previous verses referred to a future generation.

http://www.gotquestions.org/this-generation-not-pass.html

• Andrew Sh
    Andrew Sh

Glenster, Nice try, but let me have a go too.

I didn't understand this until I heard an explanation.

There are two things to appreciate first:-

1 - "It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father has put in his own power" Acts 1:7. Essentially, we should always be ready for the Lord's return and the final Day of Judgement. It might come today or tomorrow, it is not for you to know, but you must always be ready whenever it comes. So I am not going to say it will not come for many years yet. If I were to tell you that then you might think to have a little holiday from holiness, and that might be fatal for you. Matthew 24:42-44.

2 - Look at Matthew 24:1-3, and you will see that the disciples make an incorrect assumption which the Lord does not fully correct (because of point 1 above(?)). They assume that when He talks of the destruction of the temple he is referring to the day of his coming, and of the end of the world.

"and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.

And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? Verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

And as he sat upon the Mount of Olives [[overlooking the temple]] the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?"

So the Lord starts by telling them the temple is going to be destroyed. He is referring to what happened (surely) in AD70 when the temple was destroyed by the Romans. But the disciples jump to the conclusion that he is referring to the end of the world.

In Matthew 24:34 - "this generation shall not pass till all these things be fulfilled" - he is perhaps telling them:-

1 - merely about what he was originally talking about, and what started the whole conversation in the first place: the destruction of the temple.

2 - But possibly, he is referring to more, he is saying the beginnings of the end times, with all the persecution, and the spread of the gospel worldwide, start around about the time of the destruction of the temple. This generation will witness the beginnings of the endtimes with the new way that God shall be working, not just amongst the Jewish people, but amongst all the peoples of the world. Indeed, the gospel did have great success in the early church, and the gospel was preached across the whole known world in short time, so we might say the gospel was preached in all the world before that generation passed: it witnessed a great work of God. Also, the great persecutions of Nero and others had already started, before the destruction of the temple.

But note, there is much that shall happen before the day of his return, and he said so. This generation shall witness at least the beginnings of the endtimes, but I shall not tell you exactly the day of my return.... it won't help you and it doesn't belong to you to know .... be always ready.

• Andrew Sh
    Andrew Sh

3 - I thought I saw a distinction between "these things" and "that day" but didn't comment on it. But now I have looked at Matthew Henry's Commentary where it says:-

"Here he instructs us as to the time of them, v34,35. As to this, it is well observed by the learned Grotius, that there is a manifest distinction made between the "tauta" of v34 and the "ekeinEs" of v36, between "these things" and "that day and hour"; which will help to clear this prophecy.

1) As to "these things", the wars, seductions, and persecutions, here foretold, and especially the ruin of the Jewish nation; this generation shall not pass away, till all these things be fulfilled v34; there are those now alive that shall see Jerusalem destroyed, and the Jewish church brought to an end. etc ...

2) But as to "that day and hour" which will be the last day, no man knows v36. Therefore take heed of confounding these two, as they did, who, from the words of Christ and the apostles' letters, inferred that the day of the Lord was at hand (2 Thess 2:2). No, it was not; "this generation" and many another "shall pass, before "that day and hour" come.

So much from Matthew Henry. From this I take it that:-

it is a mistake to infer from any current troubles that we are in special days, namely, to predict with certainty that the Day of the Lord is near.... an error (and a deliberate deceit, seeing as noone can know except the Father) that the WTS has been consistently guilty of throughout its relatively short existence.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

See Tec's answer. The NIV version has the correct sense. You going to retract your dumb statement now?

• still thinking
    still thinking

Take your pick yadda...how does that make the statement dumb? Which version do you prefer to believe? Seems about 50/50 to me.

New International Version(©1984)
    You go to the Feast. I am not yetgoing up to this Feast, because for me the right time has not yet come."

New Living Translation(©2007)
    You go on. I'm not going to this festival, because my time has not yet come."

English Standard Version(©2001)
    You go up to the feast. I am not going up to this feast, for my time has not yet fully come.”

New American Standard Bible(©1995)
    "Go up to the feast yourselves; I do not go up to this feast because My time has not yet fully come."

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
    Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come.

International Standard Version(©2008)
    Go up to the festival yourselves. I am not yet going to this festival, because my time has not yet fully come."

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
    “You go up to this feast; I am not going up nowto this feast, because my time is not yet finished.”

GOD'S WORD® Translation(©1995)
    Go to the festival.I'm not going to this festival right now. Now is not the right time for me to go."

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
    Go you up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast: for my time is not yet fully come.

American King James Version
    Go you up to this feast: I go not up yet to this feast: for my time is not yet full come.

American Standard Version
    Go ye up unto the feast: I go not up unto this feast; because my time is not yet fulfilled.

Douay-Rheims Bible
    Go you up to this festival day, but I go not up to this festival day: because my time is not accomplished.

Darby Bible Translation
    Ye, go ye up to this feast. I go not up to this feast, for my time is not yet fulfilled.

English Revised Version
    Go ye up unto the feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; because my time is not yet fulfilled.

Webster's Bible Translation
    Go ye up to this feast: I go not yet to this feast, for my time is not yet full come.

Weymouth New Testament
    As for you, go up to the Festival. I do not nowgo up to this Festival, because my time is not yet fully come."

World English Bible
    You go up to the feast. I am not yetgoing up to this feast, because my time is not yet fulfilled."

Young's Literal Translation
    Ye -- go ye up to this feast; I do not yet go up to this feast, because my time hath not yet been fulfilled;'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit