The KNOW-IT-ALL: what makes them tick?

by Terry 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I had to sit through a viewing of LOTR with a know-it-all (I've read LOTR multiple times). He talked through the whole movie and made me wish I wasn't there in my own house. I vowed never to do that again.

• glenster
    glenster

A know-it-all or know-all is a person who believes that he/she has an accurate
    comprehension of a topic and/or situation when in reality, his/her comprehension
    is inaccurate and limited. This belief may or may not be outwardly expressed.

The German word Besserwisser is also used in some languages, literally meaning
    "better knowing [person]".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know-it-all
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZmx0jml1jk

• flipper
    flipper

" The KNOW-IT-ALL : what makes them tick ? " Narcissism, arrogance, ignorance, and stupidity

• ziddina
    ziddina

Aaaarrrrrggghh.... yellow facepalm

I'm a "Know-it-all"...!!

Speaking from personal experience, it comes from being belittled and debased to an EXTREME degree in childhood. Along with what Blond-Moment said, when one finally does get away from such a destructive environment, then the ego explodes out of the strait-jacket that it's been confined to, for years - even decades.

But in my PERSONAL case, there seems to be something primal about it. It is definitely NOT a consciously-chosen behavior pattern, and it seems to come from a basis of FEAR, of all things. There are strong elements of a compulsion to CONTROL when I go into "smart-a$$" - er, "know-it-all" mode, and it is almost ALWAYS inappropriate.

Some form of "acting out" left over from the damage done by the cult - or the destructive parents, perhaps???

• Perry
  • Perry
    Perry
    The Anonymity of Internet (or even sitting inside your car on the highway) brings out the rudeness simmering inside of some people.

Terry, indeed. But not you of course, right?

Religious people are perhaps the best examples of the worst know-it-alls!

You would never condemn a believer's testimony of what happened in their life after coming to Christ; would you Terry? I mean you have know way of knowing if it is false, and if true, that would be rude, right? I mean you'd have to be a know-it-all to do that , right?

I found the following statement of yours especially enlightening:

Everywhere I look people are running off at the mouth and insulting other, picking fights and hurting feelings unnecessarily. Yes, UNnecessarily.

Aww, it is sooooo cute when you blush.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit