Question for you atheists...

by MrFreeze 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

I do not, unless it is in company I am very comfortable with. I live in Kentucky and it is surprising and saddening how many good ordinary people, people that you would sit and have drinks or share a meal and some laughs with, will very suddenly start complaining about faggots or towel heads or beaners. I have any number of co-workers or class mates in college that are perfectly nice people, people I can joke around with, chat up, ect. But when they see a gay guy or a muslim or anybody that falls out of their social norms, they reveal that there is still significant prejudice in the south. If they openly have that much disdain for gays or people from other religions, and sometimes even ethnic groups, I can only assume "Atheist" fits into their wheelhouse of prejudices. The only people I have openly admitted to being an atheist to were a teacher from south africa, an agnostic class mate, an atheist class mate that brought it up first, and a professor who was Bahai. Generally though, I just don't reveal any information about my beliefs.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

puff, I kind of find myself in the same area. I don't necessarily believe in the Judeo-Christian god but I haven't given up completely on the idea that there could possibly be what could be defined as a god.

Very good comment Jonathan. They probably wouldn't look too kindly upon those evil atheists...

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

more out of respect for others and their beliefs I usually keep quiet about my feelings on the matter unless it comes up

I'm not sure how it is disrepectful to voice ones nonbelief. Why is it so commonly accepted that we must respect believers by keeping silent? They certainly feel no such obligation. Still, I keep quiet for other reasons at times. Mostly to keep them from preaching to me and making me their special project. But respect? No. There is nothing disrespectful about supporting your own beliefs or lack thereof.

NC

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

How could you not believe in God?..... I KID I KID!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

No one I know gives a poop what I believe about God. It's quite refreshing.

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks

Pretty much what most said. Only if asked directly or if they are talking directly to me under the assumption I believe in a god, then I would say something. I respect their right to hold their beliefs, but I have no respect for their beliefs, so unless I want to run the risk of offending someone, I usually just sit quietly if at all possible. Like NC I don't mix with religious people, or if they are religous, they never talk about it.

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

Wasanelder once One day I hope to have friends like yours!

I think I'm between beliefs myself. I'm leaning towards atheism due to all the mounting evidence that actually supports the idea. I think just maybe there might be a divine spark from something we might call a diety but I don't think we could even conceptualize it's motives or moral imparatives. I think that the Bible is more likely a grand delusion just as much as the JW doctrine is but I'm not gonna say that for sure because I'm still wieghing the evidence on both sides. What the hell do I know anyway I'm just a man.

I think for anyone to say they have "the Truth" and have captured GOD in a conceptual box is very arrogent and presumptious.

• jws
    jws

I don't go out of my way to declare it and try to stay silent until somebody else asks.

Among certain people, I pretend to still believe. I have a friend who would cut off a 30+ year friendship if he knew my true beliefs on the subject. He's a good guy and I value his friendship, but he's very religious and believes strongly. And some weird stuff too (at one time he believed most/all gay people were the result of being possessed by demon spirits). Tends to cut non-relgious things out of his life for his own spiritual safety. I try to avoid the subject if I can, but it always seems to come up in some way or another.

Interesting that in my running/drinking club, it seems the great majority are athiests and I don't feel as though I have to hide my minority status. I don't know if it's their more worldly cosmopolitan nature, but it gives me hope that religion is losing ground. Around the semi-religious ones, I can say how I believe and they can say what they believe and we can agree to disagree and still drink beers together and have a good time.

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

-NewChapter,

I suppose I mean that I don't want to have to get in a discussion on it and blow someones mind and take away something important in their lives. I don't like to make waves. I hated preaching to people when I was an active JW, and I'm not gonna do now that I've faded.

• Glander
    Glander

Puff -

I am between beliefs right now.

That's a good place to be. Don't sign any papers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit