Do you eat blood?

by laverite 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Nothing wrong with eating blood pudding/sausage. Nothing strangled was a temporary dietary rule of thumb to avoid offending Jewish Christians. No food that goes into a man defiles him; it's only what comes from the heart. It's OK for Inuit to eat raw seal meat. It's OK for you to eat raw seal in the home of an unbelieving Inuit as well..since there is no need to ask questions of conscience.

• laverite
    laverite

Thanks everyone who rang in for your replies. I guess what interests me the most is when I saw the video, I wondered about the JWs who would also see it.

I did have to LOL @ blond-moment: " It's just the clotting agent from blood....it's just a fraction, JWs will be safe." Also had to giggle At ZeusR's comment: " Well, when I cut myself I take a little swig."

I do have to say that the idea of this grosses me out. Blood pudding, too. I just couldn't. I guess I'm not that adventurous.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I'm with you Lav, I have got rid of almost all JW hangups, but do not want to eat Black Pudding etc I don't worry about it as an ingredient, though would be put off a dish that used raw blood as a main ingredient.

I remember back a few decades the JW's used to go Apeshit about anything with blood in it, fertiliser for the garden even !

One Dumbdub sister would not eat any food containing Monosidium Glutamate, she insisted that was blood !

They used to check all the ingredients and listen to any rumours "Blood is used in such and such a wine for fining, we can't drink that".

Wottaloadabollocks !

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Blood sausage, raw seal, never tried it, never would want to, unless starving of course. JWs have an extra-biblical trained conscience about so many things.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

What amazes me about this issue as that JWs are prepared to die for this belief. They are pedantic to death about this topic. Though I had a blood card when I was in I really didn't get it all that much, it was something I was told to do so as a good lil Jdubs I did it. Now, I'm donating blood, want to donate marrow, looking at signing a consent form to donate oragans when I die.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Yea that gets so frickin fanatical. I can see why they might not eat meat but death? Really it is so fanatical

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Black pudding as we call it, (blood sausage), is really rather delish......and was the second thing I really missed when I was a nearly-JW.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Surimi, AKA imitation crab meat, contains plasma.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Before the outbreak of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE, mad cow disease), it was an industrial practice to add bovineblood plasma into the fish paste to help its curing or gel-forming.

I guess they stopped using it

• Poztate
    Poztate
    I remember back a few decades the JW's used to go Apeshit about anything with blood in it, fertiliser for the garden even

They still go nuts on this one even if you point out that you are "pouring it out" on the ground as required by law

The reason stated... It is not to be useful for anything. Maybe if you put an altar up in your garden you could get away with it...LOL

From a post a year ago

March 2010

Almost every country in the EU last week approved the use of

Meat Glue in food

. Technically called thrombian, or transglutaminase (TG), it is an enzyme that food processors use to hold different kinds of meat together.

Imitation crab meat is one of the more common applications: it's made from

surimi , a "fish-based food product" made by pulverizing white fish like pollock or hake into a paste, which is then mixed with meat glue so that the shreds stick together

and hold the shape wanted for it by its creator.

Chicken nuggets are also often bound with meat glue, as are meat mixtures meant to mold like sausage but without the casing. Meat glue is also used by high-end chefs like New York restaurant WD-50's Wylie Dufresne, who is famous for his shrimp pasta dish—instead of shrimp with pasta, he just makes the pasta out of shrimp.

How it works

Thrombin is made from pig or cow blood, though you'll see it on labels, if at all, as "composite meat product." Many Europeans are outraged at their governments' recent approval of the product:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit