What did your personal big AHA moments look like when you saw through a LIE or suddenly understood a TRUTH?

by Fernando 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Not actually an aha moment but an uncomfortable itch that got infected and spread when I picked (researched) it here on JWN.

TAM: Being told only to offer Bible Studies to African boat people because if we offer anything more they will come into the truth for the wrong reasons.

LAM:Holy Spirit approved an elder who had avoided taxes for 6 years and ran a business illegally.

• designs
    designs

Astonomy. Read the life and times of brother and sister astronomers William and Caroline Herschel, 1800s, who built the first 40' telescope and documented deep space and the tremendous distances and time to other galaxies putting to rest Genesis.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Genesis is quite easy to "put to rest" as any kind of literal explanation of "creation", but exactly how did astronomy do that for you designs ?

It simply says "In the beginning god created the Heavens and the Earth" , now the " God created" bit non-believers will take issue with, but the rest of the phrase is not wrong is it ? Big Bang = beginning ? Unless you foundered on the "six days" bit ? but that has nothing to do with the first verse.

Just wondering, not criticising.

• James Brown
    James Brown

My aha moment is: life/reality is stranger than you think.

Life/reality is stranger than you can think.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

My Lie Aha: listening to two sisters quite disturbed about the "overlapping generation" light, yet unable to express themselves fully and openly. I thought, "They're lying to us. That's what you really want to say"

My Truth Aha: the day my worldview flipped. I was at a concert on Governers Island with both Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn Bethel in sight. The world looked HUGE. I was amazed how some men in those buildings could make it look so small.

A few IPAs helped my Truth Aha moment along.

• designs
    designs

Phizzy- The Catholic Church is trying to be progressive in accepting science's findings as explained in Dei Verbum, o that the Fundamentalists and JWs would follow suit. The Herschels were proving with their documentation and mathematics that the distances to other galaxies were further than the 6 Days of Genesis allowed (further than light travels in that time frame). For the literalists the whole account is taken as one inspired account, of course for those who take it as allegory its a non issue.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Just playing the JW apologist designs, verse one of Gen 1 deals with the creation of the whole universe. Including planet earth.

Verse 2 until the end of Chapter one deals with the prepration of the Earth for plants, animals and eventually, man.

This work took six days of indeterminate length, so the age of the rest of the Universe does not enter in to the account in verses 2 to 31.

According to WT thinking the "creative days" are simply to do with work on the existing planet, Earth.

This of course makes it an exercise in exegetical gymnastics for them to explain verses 3 to 5.

• designs
    designs

Phizzy- That was one of the AHA moments I had when studying Judaism v JWism, Genesis 1:1 is part of the story of creation and not segmented like Franz wanted.

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

My aha moment was slow at first, more and more not falling into line......Finding out about the UN, (which in turn led to the pedophilia) was my "gloves are off" moment. Mudda fuddas.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

One of the biggest moments, and quite recently, is when I realized that Jesus was just a representation of the SUN. There were around 20 other stories where someone had the exact same type of life, Horus being among these. All representing the sun--turns out that celebrating Christmas wasn't the only thing Christians are doing that amounts to worshiping the sun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit