'Apostate' or something better???

by Latte 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

Definition of Apostate

One who has abandoned his faith, political party, or cause.
    From the Greek aposiopesis.

Further, aposteriori is the kind of reasoning that derives propostions from reasoning based on facts, i.e. coming up with ideas based on that which can be experienced only.

Having that established, I say apostate is a good name. Nothing in the definition of apostate would denote something bad, and leaving a group of superstitious, closed minded bigots, would certainly constitue the use of other words like prudent, intelligent, lucid, reasonable....I could go on. I suppose the alternatives could be Ministerial Servant, Circuit/District Overseer, sister, brother, pioneer, fatihful and discreet SLAVE, Bethelite, all of which leave a rather hatefull taste in one's mouth.

Enjoy the moniker and count yourself lucky.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• ghenrymt
    ghenrymt

I see myself as someone "who has forsaken the faith, principles, or party, to which he before adhered; esp., one who has forsaken his religion." Yes, indeed, and if that is what people say when they call me an apostate, I accept the label.

If asked to explain in my own words where I am now and why I left where I was for this place, I would say, I am no longer one who belongs to a group that is certain that their way is God's way and the only approved way. I don't think I want to belong to any such group, or will ever again.

Perhaps I have gone from being one who was certain he had found "the Truth" in one organization, to one who is searching for truth wherever it may be found. I now see that much of "the Truth" was anything but that, and I seriously question the fundamental underpinnigs of the religion.

So what does that make me? An "embracer of mystery?" (I like that one!) A "seeker of my own truth?" An "open-minded, eclectic sampler of many paradigms?" Perhaps "would-be mystic" is a good term for me.

I think the problem many of us have with the word "apostate" is that it retains the focus on what we left behind, as if it were the only thing of importance. It tends to invalidate where we are and wherever it may be that we are headed. That makes it a word of shame. "You left Jehovah's organization, and turned your back on the Truth!" it seems to say.

I propose that there is no suitable word for all of us. Take whatever new title you like, and leave the word "apostate" for the Witnesses to cling to. It just reflects their fear of thinking for themselves, really. Thus I think it is appropriate for them as JWs to use in reference to us, but not for us to use in reference to ourselves.

As far as where I have come from, and where I spent about 30 years of my life, is concerned, I am an ex-JW. I have no problem with that term.

I would rather live in a world where my life is surrounded by mystery
    than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it.
    - Harry Emerson Fosdick

• Francois
    Francois

Hey Fred:

Are you Japanese? You use the English language just as would a Japanese person. I mean, you use Engrish...

Francois

NOTE TO GOVERNING BODY: You've been challenged to a debate, boys. Dont you have ANY balls?

• Francois
    Francois

How 'bout conscious?

NOTE TO GOVERNING BODY: You've been challenged to a debate, boys. Dont you have ANY balls?

• Latte
    Latte

out4good3,

The only thing horrific about it is the JW definition of it and how it is used by them to strike fear in the R/F.

You hit the nail on the head! I used to instantly discount any ‘contrary talk’ relating to the society, it was always blamed on APOSTATES.. It is a most effective tool which is used to the full by the borg. That is why so many can’t leave……..FEAR. That alone is what makes me MAD. I really feel that just because the borg. refer to ones who no longer believe as apostates….why should we accept it?? We surely should refer to THEM as the APOSTATE BORG..…..always.

Thanks for your comments

Latte

• Latte
    Latte

Beck_Melbourne

but I can't see the JW communities adopting a new word....they all 'talk the talk' and they won't change their words unless the borg puts it in a WT article to stop using it.

Yes, I totally agree. I really think that a Universal word/title for people like ourselves would be much nicer….don’t play by their games/words anymore. I really like Bob Marleys music 'Exodus....movement of Jah' people....' again 'Exodus' is pretty much already taken....would sound silly in post ..lol

There must be something better???

Latte

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Personally I like the word apostate. We shoud adopt it in the same way the gay community has co-opted 'queer.'

Apostate and proud!

--
    "Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there. Theologians can persuade themselves of anything." -Robert A. Heinlein

• Nemesis
    Nemesis

Latte:
    I agree with you—I see some here are taking the secular dictionary approach of 'one who leaves his or her religion'. But that is not the same as the Biblical or JW view. The Bible makes it clear the “apostate” is linked with the man of lawlessness and the antichrist. Being apostate in the Bible is abandoning God, Jesus, and all they stand for. Some here may still acknowledge they fall into that category, but many will also not as they still have faith in God and Jesus, therefore they are not an apostate by any means as far as the Bible goes.

I also refuse to take up a false label just because the WT org. uses it. For instance, if they started calling you a paedophile* just because you left the WT org. would that mean you heartily accept such an emotive false label? I’m sure you would not. So why accept and perpetuate a false label like apostate unless you really do oppose God and Jesus? (*British English spelling.)

• Latte
    Latte

Nemesis

I also refuse to take up a false label just because the WT org. uses it.

Rather well put! That’s really what I am protesting here. We really need some good PR person coming up with a really cool title for us. A title for me to have printed on my T shirt!…. lol I really like ‘Never Been Better’ = ‘NBB’ or No Borg Bullxxxx. But I don’t swear most of the time…..so that’s out! Lol

Ideas anyone?? We need a better profile even if it’s a self given one…lol

Latte

• Smudgee
    Smudgee

On whether or not to use apostate...

I don't like the term. Someone mentioned that other religions use the term and he/she is correct.

I'm not apostate. I'm a person of conscience.

Smudgee

"I'm really not a black heart; I'm just smudged a little."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit