Watchtower threatens to sue their own

by blond-moment 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• steve2
    steve2

The Watchtower has long crowed about its legal victories, trumpeting how they are champions of religious rights, for minorities in particular. What a load of self-serving tosh! They turn to secular law when it suits their limited purposes, and ride roughshod over individuals when necessary.

Whilst ignorant commentators do, we ought not conclude from the Watchtower's legal victories that it is an way, shape or form interested in human rights. It is not; human rights would be its death. The Watchtower focus is very narrow: Its own unique religious rights, individuals be damned.

• steve2
    steve2

Unfortunately, the you-tube video above is incorrect: The apparently pro-JW blog site may have started out as just Watchtower oriented, but somewhere along the way branched out into some obviously anti-Watchtower commentary (e.g., the pedophile issue, among others).

Therefore, it is incorrect to characterize the blog site as "just" distributing Watchtower copyrighted material.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

As I have never owned any translation of the Bible other than the NWT, I have never even considered the fact that the NWT is copyrighted. That is crazy! The King James Version is public domain.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

biometrics:

If their works are truly 100% "Bible based" then they have no legal claim to copyright, as it's not a creative work, but based on effort. This is especially true for the New World Translation.

No. Copyright is intended to protect a particular presentation of an idea, not the idea itself.

• Scully
    Scully

I love this part:

Watch Tower has not given you permission to ... distribute its materials.

So the Legal Department has no problem with someone NOT going Door-to-Doorâ„¢, because that would involve the distribution of Watch Tower materials, without the expressed permission of the copyright holder, Watch Tower.

• JudgeDracoAmunRa
    JudgeDracoAmunRa

Biometrics: The fact that the WT does not credit authors for their work means nothing - if the original authors have assigned the copyright for their work to the publishers of the WT then legally the WT *is* the author of that work.

• JudgeDracoAmunRa
    JudgeDracoAmunRa

Biometrics: The fact that the WT does not credit authors for their work means nothing - if the original authors have assigned the copyright for their work to the publishers of the WT then legally the WT *is* the author of that work.

• JudgeDracoAmunRa
    JudgeDracoAmunRa

truth_b_known: The reason why the KJV translation is now public domain is because all its translators have been dead for at least as long as copyright laws allow the original authors and/or their estates to retain copyright control of their work. The authors of the NWT have not been dead - if indeed they are dead - for that copyright expirey period and as such the Governing Body has copyright control of the NWT. It is the translation that is opyrighted, and not the original Sriptures themselves.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Many Bibles are copyrighted, such as the Jerusalem Bible, the Holman Bible, The Message, etc. You will not find these on Biblegateway, Bible.cc, et al. when looking up verses. The NWT is the same.

• JWOP
    JWOP

Blond Moment,

Are those your videos?
    I checked out your (?) You Tube channel and watched a bunch of them, and I liked them, so I added a link to your channel in my website's video link page, under the "Educational Videos" list:

http://www.witness-outreach.com/Videos.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit