Was it ever written "with" a thief but changed to "as" a thief?

by N.drew 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The whole point of the thief reference is that the parousia is a wholly unannounced event. This can be seen in following use of the thief metaphor that goes beyond the mere statement of "coming like a thief" (similarly pertaining to the manner of the parousia):

Matthew 24:42-44: "Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming. But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect".

As for the idea that Jesus would not be associated with negative things like thieves, Jesus' parables and metaphors in the synoptic gospels commonly utilize traditionally negative imagery. The kingdom of God is likened elsewhere to leaven (an impurity) and a mustard seed (a noxious weed). Jesus holds up eunuchs and Samaritans as examples to imitate. The master in the Parable of the Shrewd Manager commends the steward's dishonesty. The Parable of the Broken Jar and the Parable of the Assassin in the Gospel of Thomas similarly use negative themes positively. This made Jesus' parables particularly striking, with their fondness of unorthodox reversals, grotesque comparisons (such as timbers in eyes and camels through needles), and violent themes (such as the Parable of the Warring King).

• N.drew
    N.drew

That's good Leolaia. Thank you.

Though I think "Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming" does not mean obvious to everyone. It means to each person. "Your Lord". If it meant what they say it means it would say "The Lord". So it's been happening to people for over 2000 years. And it's true.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

If it meant what they say it means it would say "The Lord". So it's been happening to people for over 2000 years. And it's true.

Intresting Point............

That opened some doors I never thought of.....

Not for Me LOL!

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

That's why it is absolutely criminal to suggest a date (day or year) for the end to come. It goes completely against the grain of what Jesus taught. No one knows the date, not the angels, not the Son, only the Father (Matt. 24:36). Furthermore, the analogy of the thief confirms this (Matt. 24:43, 44).

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

this is my quick thought. Jesus said NO man (including women) would know the hour. A thief is stealthy, moves quickly, does not announce him/herself. (altho there are the apocalyptic sayins of the end times in the gospels). Jesus was well-known and even notorious and reviled for associating with sinners, such as thieves. Wasn't the man crucifixed next to him a thief, at least some criminal.

I'm thinking of Cary Grant and Robert Wagner as cat burglars. "Like a thief" seems to emphasize suddeness, covertness. The gospels are saying you must be prepared at all times. If you wait to the last minute, it may already have arrived.

I don't know whether it is the sheer familiarity of this phrase in Western culture but I find it gives the sentence more eloquence. It sounds more refined. I can almost see it as a form of editing. It flows better. Maybe I am just too Western.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit