What's The Longest Bible Study Length You Heard Of?

by Perry 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Perry
    Perry

so sorry to hear that the raisin.

Watchertowerism does not produce changed lives just changed lies.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

My grandfather studied on and off from when my mother was young (~8) until he died so roughly 40 years. Never accepted it, called it lies and bullshit, he just liked the discussions and proving them wrong.

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

Perry, thanks, growing up with a childish mother makes the kids grow up real fast. Especially when growing up with the JWs.

• St George of England
    St George of England

It used to be common for studies to go on for years, "Let God be True" followed "This means Everlasting Life" followed by ....

Then the "Truth" book came out about 1970 and it was recommended that if no progress was being made, attending meetings etc. after 6 months the study should be stopped. So close to the end, no time for long studies......

George

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

If these perpetual studies actually make it to baptism, they are in line for an assembly part.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

I know someone who's studied for about 30 years. She's lonely and enjoys talking about the bible. She vows she'll never join the religion though.

She's been studying with the same pioneer (elder's wife) for a good 20 years. I think they mostly talk about family. She's watched the pioneers child grow up and graduate high school. I'm sure it makes the pioneers time card look good to have the bible study, the return visits and all the placements each month! It's also an easy hour to spend in a rocking chair rather than knocking on doors.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

My ex studied with a man for ten years. The study had absolutely no interest in "the twoof" and made this clear every week. His wife had become a witness and he agreed to study for her sake. It was an easy hour for the ex every week, however, I am sure it was an excruciating hour for the poor study. The wife died of cancer and the study ceased.

• Glander
    Glander

I once had a study that went on for over 6 hours. We had to send out for pizza.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

The COBOE has had a regular study on Thursday mornings for years now; he always goes alone and I don't know if anyone has ever met this study, which leads me to believe there is no study he just fakes it for service time. (Hey what better way to make time than to create a fake study that only you go on, if anyone wants to go or meet the study just say, "oh they stopped" and make up a new one; it's genius.)

Anyhoo

My Dad studied on and off for probably 20 years before stopping altogether. I think he only did it to keep make my Mom happy and to keep her off his back because he wasn't baptized when they met and she thought he would get flee dipped after they got married; they've been married 43 years now and nope, not yet. I know my Dad pretty well, we're almost exactly alike, and I expect a deathbed conversion if my Mom is still alive.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I was an on/off study for over 10 years......I think my brain was still developing......still is.....LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit