Oregon State members..NEED HELP

by badseed 17 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, that does not tell me what it will really take to fix it, but I would say there is a pretty good possibility that you are going to have to fix it soon in order to keep driving it. Emission test or not.

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

The Check Engine light might be what caused it to fail smog. My car was perfectly fine for smog, but the Check Engine light was on for a completely different reason. The smog center failed me because of the Check Engine light. I reset the code, came back and passed. What does the smog report say?

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith
    Low Key..I'm not trying to avoid the law, just trying to survive.

I can certainly understand and respect that. Been there.

Sorry, I was a little out of line in my comment to you. I'm a little stressed right now, I hope you'll overlook my comment.

I was a little hostile in my comments to you, as well. Apologies. Just trying to make your way in the world can be a very difficult task. I sincerely hope that things work out for you.

I had a shitbox Honda Accord once that was my sole means of transportation. It wouldn't pass emissions, either. A mechanic friend told me to get the oil changed just before taking it in for the emissions test. It worked. Maybe you could try that?

• badseed
    badseed

The first time I took it to smog check center (twice) all they could tell me was that the EGR valve was malfunctioning. This morning I had it "diagnosed". The reply I gave to James is what the shop guy told me. I guess it involves removing the top part of the motor. I'm really not good with cars and the terminology.

• james_woods
    james_woods

A malfunctioning EGR valve does not sound to me like $1500 - maybe you should have somebody else look at it. (provided that is all it is)

Could you tell us what kind of car it is and what year?

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sounds like we're ignoring the main problem - badseed is going to be living out of his van and $1500, $1000, $500 is needed in other departments. Oregon is one of the worst places to try and find work right now (CA as well). Especially in a place like Klamath Falls. I have a niece who lives up near Bend and she can't even find a fast-food job. Portland would be the best shot, but there's a lot of competition there. Have you considered moving elsewhere? Western North Dakota right now is going through a huge oil boom. People are making a ton of cash up there and jobs are plentiful, and not only on the rigs. Tons of homes are being built and you can easily get a construction job. By the way, North Dakota does not require smog checks. Just a thought.

• badseed
    badseed

I did not say it was the EGR valve that was defective, that's what the smog check place told me before he could go any further. What might sound a little odd, is that here in CA, you have the guys which test only (do not repair) or the ones that check and repair. At first I tried the test only, they couldn't continue the test because of the failed EGR.

This morning was a different type of station. They diagnose, repair and check. He's the one who told me it was over a 1000's. He's the one who told me after a diagnostic that the intakes, upper and lower, left and right, need to be replaced.

I tried the oil change, the "guaranteed to pass" additive, driving it 50 miles before the check. None worked.

• badseed
    badseed

Oh well..so much for that idea..lol

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit