Oregon State members..NEED HELP

by badseed 17 Replies latest jw friends

• badseed
    badseed

To make a long story short, I need a physical address in the southern part of the state (outside Medford area) ex: Klamath Falls, etc. It doesn't have to be the south but has to be outside Portland or Medford areas.

The reason is that I'm presently in Bakersfield CA and my vehicle (which is fine, btw) doesn't pass the emission requirements for registration. So I need to register my vehicle where an emissions test is not required. I'll be leaving for Oregon tomorrow morning, heading for Klamath Falls and try to locate an address to register my vehicle. I hope I'll find a way. I'm no criminal or shaddy character but I won't pay 1500 dollars to prep my car for an emissions test. If someone could help, I would appreciate and maybe there's a way I could help you back. We could talk about it. My email is [email protected]. I'll give you my phone # if you email me in case you want to talk to me first.

Thanks, Mark

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Kinda selfish, dontcha think, that you would rather skirt the law than fix your vehicle that is spewing bad emissions into the atmosphere that we all share? Just a thought.

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Bakersfield to Klamath Falls is 576 miles one way. That's at least four fill-ups worth of gas for the round trip, or $200 right up front, not to mention the time, motels, food, and so forth. Besides, it's CA law that you have to have your car registered there within a certain amount of time that you move there. If they pull you over with a CA driver's license, but with an OR license plate that's registered to you, you'll get a ticket. Are you sure there's not a better solution for you? Have you checked Craigslist for mechanics who will smog it for you, or are you stuck on $1500?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

badseed, go to the bartering section at Craigslist. If you have anything of value to barter with, they might do it for you. Good Luck!

• badseed
    badseed

I don't intend to return to bakersfield. If I go to Oregon, I will have a driver's license there. I don't need motels, I can live out of my van no problem. Food costs are the same in bakersfield as they would be anywhere else in the country, so that's not a factor, I have to eat. $200 gas is much better than $1500.

@Low Key If I choose to move to an area which do not require emissions test, I am within the law, am I not? Besides, why don't you stop selling booze, it kills people. Or maybe you don't care to know that. sheesh.

• badseed
    badseed

Thanks Iamallcool, I might check it out.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

You're within the law if you actually plan on taking up residency in the State of Oregon. Sounds to me like you're trying to convince someone to aid and abet you in a fraudulent scheme. Good luck with that.

Booze does kill some people, yes. So does sugar, tobacco, energy drinks, sunlight, saturated fat, and greenhouse gasses emited by motor vehicles that won't pass emissions, etc, etc.

I'm more an educator/spokesman than a salesman. I ALWAYS encourage people to consume responsibly.

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Well then you are definitely going to not only need a permanent address, but proof that you are living there such as a utility bill, a rent contract, etc. I moved from CA to OR once and that's what I had to do. They are naturally wary of people moving up there for seemingly no good reason. What I would do is contact a homeless shelter up there once you get there. Tell them your problem, and they might have some sort of solution for you, such as a letter stating that you are living out of your van in Oregon, have no permanent address, and you need to obtain an OR license and registration in order to seek employment. But the key is getting proof of your residency. Try the OR DMV website. It tells you exactly what you need to do to get licensed there.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/driverid/licenseget.shtml

• james_woods
    james_woods

What specifically is the problem with the car?

In other words - how do you know it will not pass the emissions test?

• badseed
    badseed

Sic, yes part of my plan is to head to a homeless shelter and request info on how to proceed. They usually do have programs to help speed up things. That's what I did here in Bakersfield but they couldn't help me with the smog check. Thanks

James, I guess part of the work is to replace upper and lower intakes, there's a part called DPFE (I don't know what that is or what it does) but the labor is only 40 to replace it. There's something in the estimate (can't read his handwritting) but seems to be Issolator bolts. Anyway the estimate is for $1050. The engine light has always been on (2 years) runs fine but (he says it's running lean and the sensors need to adjust for the lack of and could cause piston problems).

Low Key..I'm not trying to avoid the law, just trying to survive. Sorry, I was a little out of line in my comment to you. I'm a little stressed right now, I hope you'll overlook my comment. I do love a good whiskey. Cheers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit