The Shunning - New Movie

by 00DAD 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• poppers
    poppers

marked

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Just watched The Shunning and it is very well done and illustrates the wrongness of this practice. At one point the Amish elders even quote one of the WTS's favorite verses, "Not even eating with such a one" and then when she comes to dinner the next day after being shunned they have a little table set up off to the side where she is expected to eat. Very cruel.

One small thing is that the parents cave pretty fast and start talking to her by the end of the movie, which seemed a little weak. But it has to have a happy ending lol.

• Perry
    Perry

We'll watch it tonight ...thanks for the tip!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

RP, yes the part about the parents talking to her at the end was interesting. I don't know how authentic that would be from the Amish perspective of the practice, but they wouldn't make very good JWs!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Marked

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

It's a start... to let people see the real harm. Most of the time others (not jws, mormon, amish)never seriously consider the damage. Pictures ARE worth thousands of words...!

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Ella Mae is a gem of a human being. This wise older woman would not support hiding the identity of the woman being searched for, as did the rest of the town, nor would she be part of the shunning.

• satinka
    satinka

Wow, a really good movie.

Strange how the daughter had to do the apologizing for her love of music, her refusal to marry the bishop, and her refusal to apologize.

What about the parents' lies all those years about her adoption? They deceived their entire community with their lie. They are still in "good standing."

Just my 2 cents.

satinka

• smiddy
    smiddy

Is it on tv ? or the theatres ? I must keep a look out for it .

smiddy

• Azazel
    Azazel

hey smiddy look up Koorong online and you can buy it for under $20 bucks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit