The Shunning - New Movie

by 00DAD 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Have any of you seen the recent movie, The Shunning? It was written by Beverly Lewis and directed by Michael Landon, Jr.

Here's the storyline:

Beautiful Katie Lapp has always felt something missing in her simple Amish existence -- until a mysterious "Englisher" comes to Lancaster County looking for the baby girl she gave up for adoption 19 years ago.

My wife and I watched it last night. It had a lot of powerful points for both JWs and ex-JWs.

It really showed how cruel shunning a person is and that it is really just a manipulative device to control others.

• clarity
    clarity

00Dad hi .........hey this looks interesting! Thanx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XLcFqS075g

clarity

• blondie
  • lisaBObeesa
  • cedars
    cedars

Looks like a very interesting film. I applaud any material that you could watch with a devout Witness family member that addresses one of the main problems with JW teachings without pointing fingers.

Cedars

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Cedars, good comment.

Of course the movie does "point fingers" at the Amish, but for us that's not a bad thing. Steven Hassan points out in his books that one effective device is to point out the flaws of whatever cult your loved one is in by talking about the same flaws in other groups. Generally people don't immediately pick up on what your doing and ironically can easily see the problem with the other group.

If and when they have their "aha" moment and finally see the truth about the particular cult they are in (in our case, JWs) then those other experiences which have been building on a subconscious level help them to clearly see how much they've been manipulated and mislead.

Recently I had a short conversation with my 17 year old son about the failed predictions of Harold Camping. I asked him why he thought people would continue to follow a man that had a record of failed predictions concerning Armageddon and Christ's Return. With out even blinking he said condescendingly, "They're on crack!"

Of course at the time I didn't point out the JWs are no different in continuing to follow the WT leadership with a much longer history of failed prophecy, I just let it lay there.

It's a process ... I'm trying to remain optimistic!

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

It sort of annoys me that they aren't making any movies like this about JWs directly. They are 100 times more dangerous than the Amish. This movie shows the same sort of effects. But I wish people would be made more aware of THIS dangerous organization and what it is doing to people's lives. Also, how they are coming to YOUR door and taking YOU away from your family. The Amish stay put and don't actively seek out new memberes, putting them in the potential position of losing their families and friends.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

(bookmarking)

• anezthy
    anezthy

Anyone ever see the movie "A Perfect World" with Kevin Costner. I addresses a lot of the screwy points with the JW religion. It is one of my favorites movies. I recommend it those of you who have not already seen it.

• blondie
    blondie

World's Apart--Danish film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1065318/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit