UK convention dramas recorded by American actors - the GB's yearly gaffe

by cedars 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Oh I used to love the American dramas at Twickenham!

Dan Sydlik, the voice of God or "Jey- pause for an overlapping second - HO va Gahd"

It sounded like Jack Barr used to get the voice over for the wimpy indecisive character "I just don't know"

The modern day ones staring Randy were also good. Making 2000 UK JW teens think of sex on a hot Saturday afternoon just before heading into Twickenham town for drinks was always a good move.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Dan Sydlik was the best God voice i have heard apart from Monty Python.

... which reminds me of this funny story.

Anyway, if the 'God' part was played by a Morgan Freeman or James Earl Jones soundalike, would it be so bad?

Also, wasn't Jack Barr sometimes used as the 'kindly voice of authority' in these dramas?

What used to reeeeeally get to me was the over-the-top, schmaltzy, scene-change 'music' that sounded like it came from a low-budget, daytime, 1980s soap opera. I haven't been to a DC for a few years. Do they still pour on the musical syrup?

Hilarious thread, btw.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Nearly as bad as Kevin Costners Robin Hood........" Maid Mar-I-on" lol

• james_woods
    james_woods

Those corny drama concepts could not be fixed with all the change of accents in the world.

They would still be corny JW dramas, and just as embarrassing.

• Inisc
    Inisc

I never cared what accent the dramas were in, they were still crap!

I did find it somewhat ridiculous how overly theatrical the voices were, quite embarrassing actually.

And I could never understand how every one in my family, immediate and extended, all loved it! They'd get all excited and make sure they got good seats and then discuss it afterwards.

And I'd be sitting in the car with the radio OFF! Lol. (the whole convention is broadcast over the radio here, so some people sit in their cars and listen in comfort). Do they do that everywhere?

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

"open jawed drawl"

HEY, easy on us stupid Amurricans.

The dramas evoked the same emotions every time: anticipation followed by the disappointing reality of bad scripts, cheesy music and terrible lip synching.

I had fun in the dramas I was in; I played David (duck that spear!), Josiah (the book of the LAW!) and best of all, ZIMRI, the evil fornicator.

In that drama, 70's, the concubine (played by wifey) wore an off the shoulder robe/dress, and TONS of makeup.

I don't think they would allow that now, too buttoned up.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Cedars:

I was in several dramas, the last while at Bethel. It was about randy teenagers and was embarrassingly explicit.

One that made us USAers laugh (this, after my tenure at Bethel) was when a smallish lad, depicting a teenager, boomed out his lines in a voice that had, clearly, already "changed."

You're correct, CHARIKLO, re: "on behalf of" (which phrase was formerly employed in pubs; I was a Bethel proofreader).

Cheers/cheerio!

CoCo

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

The worst voice of all was GB member Lyman Swingle on the Book of Bible Stories audio tapes. It was so nasal and whiny that I can't even detect the region he's from. I think his bio said he was from Nebraska. He almost sounded like he was angry when he gave the story number. "STORY number SEVENTY-SEVEN! They Would NOT BOW DOWN! DO YOU remember hearing about these THREE men?"

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I thought I was alone in not thinking the dramas were "wonderful and uplifting" but a load of cr*p!

One year our congregation was chosen to select the "actors" and our book study conductor was chosen to be in charge of it all. He picked every single person in our group to be in it except me and one other sister. He picked 2 sisters from another group saying it wouldnt be right to have no-one from any of the other groups!

It was all very hurtful because it also meant we didn't get to stay for the usual drink after the group because they wanted to discuss it over their tea and coffee and the theme was only privy to those participating so we were ushered out pretty smartish. They were all so excited about it but we felt like lepers!

Someone from one of the other book study groups told us anyway. Nothing stayed confidential for long in our cong.

Unfortunately one of the sisters broke her arm. It was put in plaster and the plaster would still be on at the time of the assembly and it was suggested strongly by another sister who wanted to be in the drama that as arms were not treated this way in Biblical times she should forfeit her place. She was heartbroken. Intervention by her elder father ensured she stayed in.

They didn't speak with American accents back then either but that seemed to be irrelevant!

As for American terminology. Discussing a Watchtower one week included the unchristian practice of hazing. We didnt have internet back then so none of us even knew what this unchristian practice was! But they did agree we shouldn't do it, whatever it was!

• should have known better
    should have known better

Ah, the thought of having to sit through one of those dramas, not something to relish. Dan sydlik was mentioned in this thread he married an english sister and seemed to be a regular visitor to england, making regular guest apearences at DCs andCAs usually closing the convention by speaking pure waffle and going overtime, i bet he never recieved counsel on timing. ah memories (best forgotten)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit