UK convention dramas recorded by American actors - the GB's yearly gaffe

by cedars 45 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

I'm just curious as to whether any of my fellow Brits ever pondered how the Society can be so stupid as to insist using the US drama tapes at UK conventions rather than having them re-recorded in a British accent?

As all of us Brits know, the convention drama is a subject of subdued derision among UK publishers - and I've been to many a party or social gathering where, at some point, somebody whose had a little too much Coke re-enacts a scene from a drama mockingly (typically by gesturing wildly into the air and saying "JER-HO-VAH GAAARD!!" in an over-the-top American accent).

What the Society clearly doesn't understand is that the dramas really lose their emotional impact with British audiences when performed in an American accent by amateurs. Yes, we're all used to Hollywood movies over here, and roles being performed by American movie stars - but these are professionals and they execute their roles effortlessly and convincingly, regardless of the accent. On the other hand, the Society's American vocal performers are usually wooden and over-the-top, making the drama more of a tedious ordeal (punctuated by the occasional low-budget exploding altar) rather than something that is truly emotionally engaging and thought-provoking. Dramas would certainly have a greater chance of hitting a nerve if performed in a familiar accent, but the Society thinks it knows best and evidently feels that British convention audiences should be satisfied with their original US recordings.

Do any of my fellow Brits think they've been missing a trick all these years, or is it just me?

Cedars

• okage
    okage

Canadian born, American raised. All I can say is: that's what you Brits get for stealing Batman AND Superman's movies...

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Admittedly my experience is limited, Cedars, but I couldn't agree with you more.

Just as, given the gusto with which they advertise their publication of Bibles and literature in all manner of languages under the sun, it never fails to irk me that they insist on using American spelling and American lingo.

One of the ones that annoys me most is "in behalf of". Whoever heard anyone over here do anything "in behalf of" someone? What's the matter with good old-fashioned "on"?

The same goes for their inability to spell "practice" correctly when it is a noun. Whole generations of deprived British JW's must grow up even less able to spell properly than their non-JW counterparts.

Or is it the GB just cocking a snook at education?

Edit: I immediately spotted my own mistake. I used "lingo". American slang. OK, call it "American vocabulary".

Happy now, everyone?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I'm from the Deep South, so I feel your pain, Cedars.

• Azazel
    Azazel

Yep i agree with you ceders , craptitude delievered in an american twang sure was annoying. Why coudnt we have had aussie versions?

Joseph drama for example:

Potifers wife: Joseph im so horny come and shag me!

Joseph: Fair crack of the whip love, the boss would be right pissed if i shagged you.

Potifers wife: Yeah well i wont tell him if you wont we had a root.

Joseph: Sweet lets get it on!!!!

You get my drift

Best line from a drama was an introduction between two teenage characters " hello Dolly im Randy" the chuckles that eminated from all of us with dirty minds!

One last observation, with all the dramas spewed out year after year why as "Christians" were there no dramas about Jesus?

Az

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I hear you there. I used to live in Europe, and had to get used to the British terms. When I asked for my "pants" to be washed, I got my underwear instead. When my girl asked me for a "rubber", I started getting affectionate and took off my "pants" (both in the American and British definitions). Asking for a "biscuit" to dip in my gravy always got me what I knew as a "cookie". Pudding? No thanks. Hey wait, why is everyone having dessert and not me? Walking to the country house at night, I was asked to bring a "torch". I thought it very primitive to take a bundle of sticks and light them on fire on the top. Why not a flashlight? It took me some time to spell my name with "zed" instead of "zee".

Getting back on topic, I do remember some of the American dramas had at times an older brother with a British accent. This was done for what I call the "Obi-Wan Kenobi/Alec Guinness effect". The older and wiser voice of reason. They should at least find some time to re-record them for the local population. I wouldn't be able to stifle a giggle if everyone onstage were speaking in an Al Pacino-style Scarface Cuban accent. "I toll you mang! Jehoba is deh best!"

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Yes, much tittering and quiet derision among the assemblies I've sampled. This is especially so the last 10 or so years as there's been a noticable drop in quality, subject matter, and any seeming worthy application of its' contents.

Overall most JWs here in the UK just find the whole drama concept all very American, and also quite embarrassing.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Cedars, you are so right. I have heard the embarrassed round of mocking laughter when Randy (a British slang term for the Americanism "horny") starts to speak. The voice of God, the insertion of modern JW practices into ancient Jewish/Christian life ring like a cracked bell. I am waiting for a drama when some clean cut, short haired zealous youth sits scratching his pioneer report onto a clay tablet to hand in to the temple secretary.

What total bollocks.

• cedars
    cedars

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one, and it didn't occur to me that they may have exactly the same problem in other English-speaking countries (including the Deep South, lol)!

Chariklo, you made a good point about the same lack of consideration being shown in the publications, with US-English preferred over UK. It's not like it would be a huge drain on resources to run each publication through a spell-checker and fix the differences, but again, the Governing Body insists on having us read what they read, and listen to what they listen to. It is the height of ignorance IMO.

Cedars

• sd-7
    sd-7

Hmm. I always assumed they had UK voices for the drama recordings, you mean they don't?? Wow. That's just stupid. I would've thought common sense would require adjustments for the cultural sensibilities of whatever country the drama is being done in.

As an American, I didn't feel like I'd ever met any Americans who talked like they do on the recording, except people who gave assembly talks. The unbelievable level of melodrama was like...who are these people and what did they do with the human beings they are pretending to be? I enjoyed it mostly because it was silly compared to the deathly serious or boring stuff that was in the rest of the program. Also you got to see people taking pictures, plus you got to use your binoculars to scan the audience while pretending to look at the drama...but everyone was too far away, you could never really see any of the cute sisters...not that it matters, in hindsight. I digress...

Good point above, I can't remember one drama about Jesus. Not one. Thinking back over a couple of decades, I can't remember one. Seen one about Paul & Timothy, but never one about Jesus. Hmm. That is strange indeed. Given how much good material there is in the Gospels, I would've thought that would be an obvious choice. Oh, right, there isn't much in the Gospels that would hold up organizational dogma, so I can see why they've avoided it like the plague... "I make a covenant with you--and 143,089 others who will come after you--for a kingdom, which is part of Jehovah's organizational arrangement. Now, pass your field service reports around, please..."

So if this is the case, what about other nations? Raises interesting questions...

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit