New Site JW Outreach

by Bangalore 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Here is a new site named JW Outreach launched by an XJW from another board.

http://www.witness-outreach.com/

Bangalore

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I think it's a fine thing for another site to provide information to help others avoid the WT Society.

It seems bent toward someone looking at the Organisation from a spiritual viewpoint.

For people like me, I would be immediately put off by the word "outreach". It has the instant connotation, to me, of a superior-feeling group of Christians wanting to save me to their own particular flavour of Christianity.

And, for example: "...we pray that our Heavenly Father guides you into His truth through the workings of His Holy Spirit."

That said, I wish them well. There's some good information there.

• JWOP
    JWOP

Actually, the site is bent towards those with a spiritual viewpoint because those who are looking to either join or leave the WTS will usually be investigating matters with a spiritual viewpoint.

As for the "Outreach" -- well, it's what it is, for better or worse. An outreach is a progam which attempts to reach out to people, ergo....

And, because we are a Christian based website we do pray that readers get the guidance they need to find answers to their questions. If you think that sounds too "holier than thou", we're open to suggestions for a better way to word it.

(Oh, and thanks Bang for the publicity -- hugs to you!)

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It would be wise for all exiting cult members to get themselves the critical thinking skills that their previous cult taught them to suppress before getting involved with groups with names like 'Outreach', especially when these groups word their window dressing very carefully to disguise their true nature.

• steve2
    steve2

I thought "Outreach" was a misspelling. Where's the 'p' as in Outpreach?

It's a little like encouraging just-divorced people hooking up with dating websites. No! Keep away from religious websites until you sort yourself out. Christians may not mean to but they are often the worst at running down the organization and providing "instant" answers of the "just trust" variety. No, steps one and tow, "just think and use your brain".

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I don't question your motives JWOP, it's just that.................I can guarantee you that somewhere, there is a Christian Outreach group trying to 'help' your former members to see the error of their ways and so on.

Sorry, but the 'holier than thou' attitude of religious groups generally is a good description. Belief in their own rightness and a personal relationship with God is a dangerous mix in my experience.

And welcome to JWN, JWOP. Criticism is not an attack on you.

Although 3 Kiwis replying is interesting ?

• designs
    designs

Cult jumping ojoy!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I found some of the information on the website to be very informative. I was in for 30+ years and never knew some of the information presented. Look at the link dealing with teachings or doctrines Witnesses proclaim are exclusive to them. It shoots holes in the whole "Where would we go" defense.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Look at the link dealing with teachings or doctrines Witnesses proclaim are exclusive to them. It shoots holes in the whole "Where would we go" defense.

You don't need an 'Outreach' group to tell you that once you have trained yourself to recognise faulty logic.

• JWOP
    JWOP

"...before getting involved with groups with names like 'Outreach', especially when these groups word their window dressing very carefully to disguise their true nature."

"Keep away from religious websites until you sort yourself out."

"I can guarantee you that somewhere there is a Christian outreach group trying to "help" your former members to see the error of their ways."

"Cult jumping, ojoy!"

Wow. Interesting comments.

Did you guys even look at the site? It should be obvious that we aren't out to have a "group" or any kind of followers. There's not even a JWOP discussion forum for people to "gather" at. And I'm not sure how we are perceived as disguising our "true nature", we're very upfront about what the site is for. Tell me, what is the whole disguise? No tricks, just plain and simple facts. Much like the jwfacts.com site, only different. And we make this very clear on the home page.

Keep away from religious websites until you sort yourself out? The whole point of the site is to help them sort out the facts from the lies. It does not promote the JWs, and it does not demonize them. It simply lays out the facts, both the good and the bad, for the readers to decide for themselves. In just our experience, many who are investigating JW doctrine spend a lot of time looking at JW based websites to find information. Ergo, the JWOP site is basically a hub to centralize the JW info on the Internet that exists from others' sources. This is why we link to their sites, books, and forums (including this one). It isn't just our "stuff", it's a central point to access everyone's information, saving them a lot of search time.

And I can't imagine a Christian group trying to help our "former members" because there are no members to help. This isn't a club to join, it's just information to consider when one is thinking of joining OR leaving the denomination.

Cult jumping? First, there needs to be a leader, second there needs to be followers. Since nobody is leading, there can be nobody following.

If you have truly read the home page and the "About" page, you would see these things for yourselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit