What Do You Think Makes The Elders Go After One Person And Yet Not Another?

by minimus 17 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

In my case, it was 'prominent family'. I had faded for several years, with no contact whatsoever. I informally disassociated myself, which was how it worked around here in the 70s. But noooo, I had to be the exception.

All my other compas were left alone, but they sought me out, I believe, to try to bully me back in at my parents' behest. But,,,, neener, neener, NEEEENER! It backfired,,, I confessed to my non-belief, and they DF'd me. OTOH, my sibling did the suck up thing, and they took him back, to live his double life for a decade or two.

tal

• sizemik
    sizemik
    sees its nemesis in the spirit of someone who does not grovel before them they attack, more so if shown up or pulled up by that person (even if indirectly).

Very insightful comment that. The ticket to the club usually involves putting your personal morals to one side at some point.

• XBEHERE
  • flipper
    flipper

Good points made here about how elders will go after you if you don't grovel or bow down to them ( so to speak ). Also the point Talesin made about coming from a well known JW family of prominence ( which I did ) here in California. The elders came after me VERY hard several times like the American government chased after the Indian chief Geronimo. It was insane.

I also think that if you have voiced your opinions out loud , even a little bit, to former family and friends - the elders perceive you as a threat to the congregation, even IF you haven't attended for 4 years or more ! That's what happened to me as I had a crazy JW ex-wife driving the elders to DF me so she could cut off my relationship with my adult JW daughters. A real manipulative snake. And she knew one of the elders for years and I think she worked through him to put the screws on me. But I beat them at their own game. My DFing was overturned as they had no evidence against me AND I threatened a lawsuit. They haven't bothered me since.

They don't like us if we voice our opinions, are not in awe of them , and treat them as normal humans on the level. We are supposed to bow down kiss the elders , er popes hand, and wipe their rear ends as well. It's not how I'm wired. I don't wipe anybody's rear end but myself. And elders just want that treatment, sorry boys, go rub on the ground

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Minimus:

There could be several reasons the elders might go after somebody (popular, well-liked, educated). Possibly the elders have issues and want to take somebody down a notch. Anybody who witnesses anything like this KNOWS that holy spirit and "righteousness" has nothing whatsoever to do with anything. Pure ego.

But, as Flipper stated, they mostly go after people who are loud and VOCAL against them and the religion. This is the common denominator. They are very threatened by anybody who speaks out against them and are afraid it will become "catching". They would prefer that ex-JWs and anybody else critical of the religion go quietly into the night.

Sorry, they are not going to get their wish thanks to the internet.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

They came after me I think because one elder was pissed I didn't follow there rules. I also would show up at "JW" gatherings They just wanted me OUT! I DA around that time. Now they run when they see me

• minimus
    minimus

Great thoughtful responses!!!

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

It’s all about control and power; the elderberries will usually leave alone anyone they believe can damage them. No matter your standing, they will never bite off more than they can chew by picking a fight they don’t think they can win and will naturally shy away from one’s they think have dirt on them who can threaten their position/standing in the congregation or world.

Kind of like a Pandora’s box, they know if they leave certain “friends” alone that box remains closed, but mess with just one and all hell will break loose.

I think this is why I’ve been left alone. I know far too much and may seem quiet but when you try to attack me I become a porcupine; come any closer and you're gonna get hurt. Pretty much I live by the rule of don't start nothin' there won't be nothin', so the only time the elderberries have ever tried to "shepherd" or single me out they were left licking their wounds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit