What Do You Think Makes The Elders Go After One Person And Yet Not Another?

by minimus 17 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

So far, I've been mostly ignored (in a good way).

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

A lot of variables such as what sort of position (standing) the person had within the congregation ( elder, MS etc. )

If this person makes it apparent that he or she still wants to still associate with many individual JWS within a given congregation.

Being baptized or not, of course holds importance.

It much depends in how much the person wants to keep themselves involved with the organization and its following adherents.

If you leave not making much of a wave such as I did and not really wanting to maintain a relationship with the still in JWS,

your probably not going to be bothered too much .

Again it depends in how deep your in the organization that equates how strongly they go after individuals.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It only takes one Elder on a BOE to push and push and push to go after a person. They may have an axe to grind. They may be overly-zealous in their desire to keep the Congo clean. On the other hand, other Elders just don't want to be bothered with chasing out someone who they feel is already out. Their time is limited already. And, I have to think that there are some Elders who are already of the Conscious Class who do not want to take any needless action that can do nothing but potentially harm someone who is already on the way out.

Doc

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Favoritism and nepotism

• witchtowerwitch
    witchtowerwitch

This organization is filled with double standards.I know of baptized members who commit gross sins and nothing is done to them,but others are targeted and disfellowshipped .God will catch up with these elders,but what bothers me is this.In the mean time,those that are df. and shunned,are hurting big time ,and their lives are ruined.So forget about the after life,it's what's happening now that matters the most.Just think,if it was you that was being shunned by your family,how would you feel if you saw others that broke Gods laws were not df. and shunned?Fuck this out fit ok!

• jws
    jws

I have no clue. At my first congregation, I saw a guy persecuted. He messed around with an elder's daughter (and later talking to him, she was the agressor). He got DFed, she got reproof. They held everything against him. Car breaks down and he walks a mile in the snow? He was LATE for the meeting, minus points. His boss, another elder, would schedule him to work on meeting nights. Meanwhile, dad got his daughter married to the first dolt to come along and she cheated on him.

Me, I was always in trouble or suspected of it at my new congregation. I liked to drink in my early 20's. It made me more outgoing. Fueled by the fact that a shy guy was suddenly part of the "in crowd" at the congregation because they were drinkers too. Yet me being the new guy and them being established, when they got a guilty conscience, my brother and I were the fall guys. We managed to escape real trouble like disfellowshipping, but we were generally considered bad association. When I faded, they never came after me. Never so much as set up a shepherding call. Maybe because I didn't live in their territory. But my father remained a JW until he died and remained in that congregation for several years after I left. So they had a way to find me. Maybe they considered me too elusive (no proof of anything), said the right words in judicial comittees, etc. Maybe they felt it better for all I was gone and to not rock the boat by trying to get me. Maybe they felt going after me would get my father riled? Who knows? My brother and I were left alone, but aparently many others were (as experiences on this board relate). And some of these elders even encountered my brother when they (as contractors) worked on his house. Pleasantries exchanged, that's it.

Different elder personalities? Somebody power hungry or overzealous tracking down people? Maybe more laid back elders leaving people be? Maybe different policies for the JWs at the time? Less or more encouragment to go after the people who strayed? Maybe some are lazy and don't want to chase after somebody? Who knows?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Human nature.

• blondie
    blondie

I have found that sometimes an individual elder or BOE feels their authority has been threatened,

OR

The CO and/or DO has pressured them to pursue the person.

(not all inclusive though)

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

oh gosh that's all over the place. Anywhere from laziness to rabid zeal. Politics, family, the list goes on. Seen MS put on reproof and not removal for a df'ing sin, and I've seen others fart in the wrong direction and get hung out to dry

• Fernando
    Fernando

The religious spirit that inhabits Pharisees renders them inherently troublemakers (persecutors). If their religious spirit sees its nemesis in the spirit of someone who does not grovel before them they attack, more so if shown up or pulled up by that person (even if indirectly).

As spineless cowards they hunt in packs, display a herd mentality, isolate and disarm their victim, arm themselves to the teeth (star chamber), close ranks, and kill (D/F) at will. They then repeat the process on anyone that dares to question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit