Whats the real reason men want to become elders?

by usualusername 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I dont think you have to be an elder to help people. There are plenty of sisters who help people much more than I ever saw an elder help anyone.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Ucant, I apologize for leaving out the great number of godly women in the WT, who can often operate more effectively than the men, who are so closely monitored. Plus they will actually show COMPASSION and HUMOR, something sorely lacking with many elders.

Women come alive at 45, men's fantasies usually die before they reach 30 (Sex and Fantasy).

Kudos for the untold Great Crowd of JW women who think for themselves!

R

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Dogpatch,

i know of a man recently who was born into the witnesses and fell into a really bad situation and considered taking his life. He had elders stop round occasionally to offer to study with him but it was an older women in the congregation who went to help with no prompting from the elders and she turned his life around. Sadly the elder body failed him.

• TOTH
    TOTH

Dominant Alpha Male BS.

• dog is god
    dog is god

There were very few elders in my life whom I had respect for. Most of them were looser janitors, uneducated and dufises. There are 2 that I loved. One was a big strong guy. In my grade school years he was disfellowshipped for screwing a sister who was full time pioneering at the same time as him. He would come to the meetings for a year and stand in the back holding his bible and leave immediately afterwords. I remember the sister's husband confronting him yelling, "YOU STAY AWAY FROM MY WIFE!!!!!!!!" My mother actually stepped in between thembecause she thought there was going to be blows and the smaller guy would definately loose. Eventually The big guy was reinstated. He soon became an elder and I got to know him pretty well because he was always at another brother and sisters home, she typed all the schedules for him. He told me about what "really" happened. One day in service one sister and I were in the car while two went on a return visit. She asks me, "So what's going on with "the big guy" and Nancy?" "You know he's been in trouble in the past." I turned beet red and said they aqre just good friends, he handles her mother's estate and she types all the schedules etc. In fact he told me all about that other thing and the org wanted to exonorate him but he felt it would be better to let sleeping dogs lie. She paused a minute and then said, "You know, it was Shirley and I who saw them heavily making out in his cadillac". Shit I didn't know what to say. #1 the big guy lied to me and #2 from that moment I noticed things. He worked nights and would go to Nancy's house as soon as the kids were off to school and stayed until right b4 they came home. Sometimes the drapes were drawn. My back yard was against her back yard. I said nothing to anybody but I was sick at heart. Nancy studied with me when I was a kid. Eventually the other elders spoke to him and he immediately stopped going there and boy was she hurt and pissed. Despite all this I liked him. He had a photographic memory and could quote from the 1956 WT page 11 paragraph 4. He had a great sense of humor, worked hard, took great care of his family and his mother. He eventually moved away and when I heard he died I was shocked. I thought he would live forever.

#2 is an elder. He has the best heart but is a little slow but extremely dedicated. His wife is a bulldog, pushey, nosey. His daughter is very mentally and physically ill but neither she or her mother accept it. So he has been an elder and removed, then put back, then removed, all because of his family. He's not a good speaker but he gives it 100%. I've always felt he's been treated with disrespect but he hangs onto "the truth". Sadly it is the only less insane thing in his life. He never judges anyone and is nothing but kind. His wife caused a giant riff between my mother and I.

Anyway, I feel there a few good ones but really who would want that job? For most I believe it is ego.

• Open mind
    Open mind

From Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, 1602:

Malvolio:
    "In my stars I am above thee; but be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em."

In WT world, Elderhood is the first rung of "greatness". Malvolio's first category doesn't apply ("some are born great" i.e. Elders) but the second and third categories nail it, IMO.

I tried to avoid being an Elder for as long as I could, but eventually, unless you've really ticked off the local BOE, you're going to get appointed.

om

• witchtowerwitch
    witchtowerwitch

Power corrupts period!This is a structure where the classic NARCISSISTIC behavior rules!Elders are compared to angels here on earth,with all power to judge and punish congregation memebers if they fall out of line with the dribble from new york city!They follow to the letter of the law pauls words about shunning the sinfull,but they forget pauls words at 1 Corth.14:33-35,,,,,,,,,,where it says:::::::::::::::: " For God is a God not of disorder,but of peace.As in all the congregations of the holy ones,let the women keep silent in the congregations,for it is not permitted for them to speak,but let them be in subjection,even as the law says.If then,as they want to learn something,let them question their own husbands at home,for it is disgraceful for a women to speak in a congregation".Their are other scriptures that paul writes stating the women must have there heads covered at church,and a few more that are shocking as well.Do i agree with these words?I think not,but people, they are written in Gods word,so what do these words mean?I am very confused about these topics?How can some scriptures be so powerfull,but others not?

• minimus
    minimus

There's no sense of being a "real man" in the Organization unless you become an elder. You can't prosper in a normal "worldly" work environment or schooling. You can't take the lead in your community. You're a nobody except within the cult's "Organization".

• jgnat
    jgnat

Having come from a regular church background, I noticed right away that there are not very many roles at the Kingdom Hall. One can peddle magazines, clean the toilets, or adjust the microphones. College is cut-off too.

Where is there any hope of creative outlet?

For lack of any other outlet, the man goes for the elder's position.

I met a woman who creates plaster art for the back of the stage. I've seen her work in a half-dozen Kingdom Halls. She seemed fulfilled.

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

They do it because of all the potential opportunities to get more pussy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit