Whats the real reason men want to become elders?

by usualusername 41 Replies latest jw friends

• usualusername
    usualusername

Discuss.............

• cedars
    cedars

As a former elder, I would have to say the natural ambitious urge that most men have to succeed and progress with their careers, and receive recognition from others. There is also the perceived opportunity to help people, and make a difference in people's lives - which is a major factor. However, I personally believe the majority of elders "reach out" in this way to fulfil expectations placed on them by others, and even if they don't admit it, they enjoy the admiration and plaudits. When you make the leap from MS to elder, you go from being virtually unnoticed to having your words carry weight and authority, and being listened to, virtually overnight.

Cedars

• Fernando
    Fernando

Coudln't have said it better than Cedars.

At a more sinister level, and from a cynical perspective, within the supremacist ruling religious clergy class hierarchical (Pharisaic) framework created by the Watchtower, there is a grab for the power, authority and glory that belong to the person the sheep should be following instead - Jesus.

Ulimately the Pharisees pull or push the sheep in a self-righteous direction (externalism, whitewashed graves).

Jesus however invites the sheep to accept IMPUTED righteousness instead, follow him, and be transformed naturally (organically) from within.

We might ask and contemplate: "When Jesus was on earth did he lead people to the elders (Pharisees) and the Governing Body (Sanhedrin) or away from them and their religious system?"

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Most who achieve the position would not be appointed for something similar in any other establishment, religious or not. Very few, though I can think of one or two, accepted the position purely to "serve". 99% are for the above mentioned bad motives.

It was interesting to see the old "power corrupts" happening too, formerly helpful and nice guys changed into Robot Elders more often than not.

The guys running the show now are also of a lower calibre in all areas than used to be the case, most are very poorly educated, many who are born-ins are downright weird.

• Fernando
    Fernando

John Dalberg-Acton (1834 – 1902) is famous for his remark, often misquoted: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

(From Wikipedia)

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Power and a uplift in personal stature in a social environment.

When men become elders they actually think they are getting closer to the power god.

Most religions have a power structure framed within themselves.

Now you know what drives the men who sit as GB members, add the luring capability of handing hundreds millions of dollars.

God is power and money.

• erbie
    erbie

It affords inadequate men of no recognition or talent the opportunity to gain respect and prominence being surrounded by mindless, subservient morons.

I've seen it so many times before and know it to be true.

• rnewman123
    rnewman123

Powah! and Influence

• cedars
    cedars

After reading the latest elder's manual, I get the impression there is an increasing trend towards relaxing the harsh criteria applied by many elders when it comes to making new appointments. I've sat through meetings myself where I've been astonished at the unreasonable and petty reasons given for delaying someone else's appointment. A common mantra was "he needs another year, it will do him good". I believe the Society want to clamp down on that sort of thing, while at the same time improving elder retention by reducing the grounds for deletion. After all, the more elders they have to enforce their will, the more power they have. It makes sense.

Cedars

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Different men want it for different reasons.

For many it is a power trip, a chance to enforce their will on others..........they become spiritual bullies lording their 'spirit appointed' position over others. They attain a position in life they could never hope to achieve in any other field.

For articulate & enlightened men that really want to help & do good to others it will be a soul destroying experience. This type of man will never thrive in the Black & White right or wrong world of the Borg.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit