jw.org terms and con ...

by mP 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mP
    mP

http://www.jw.org/index.html?option=YRTNYGRsZF

Site visitors may download copyrighted materials for their personal, non-commercial use only. By downloading such materials from this site, visitors agree not to post these materials on any electronic network, redistribute them without written permission, or share these materials in exchange for money, even if no profit is involved. Site visitors may not modify, publish, or participate in the transfer or sale of any of the content, in whole or in part.

I dont get it... Do they want their stuff made available to the entire world or not ?
  • 2tone
    2tone

lol

• biometrics
    biometrics
    I dont get it... Do they want their stuff made available to the entire world or not ?

Yes, and No.

Yes they want it distributed to individuals, but No, they don't want it discussed in an open public forum where critical thinking and group discussion could hamper the message.

• Cinciguy74
    Cinciguy74

This is fairly standard copyright stuff actually. They want to control distribution of it. This is no different than going to a site which provides some documentation for their product for free. But they do not want it put all over the place without them knowing or at least approving of it.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Every corporation has copyright disclaimers to protect their right to the material they create and own.

However, if the almighty jayhoover's spirit is guiding them, wouldn't it stop anyone from "defacing" it's holiness?

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Every corporation

...being the operative words...

• moshe
    moshe

the noose tightens- old stuff without a copyright is OK (scan it yourself), just don't use one of their official JW.org website scans/images on an apostate website to disparage the WT Corp-

• steve2
    steve2

Actually I don't take such a surprised or questioning stand on this. There is nothing cultish or anti-freedom about their stand. It is perfectly reasonable for organizations to place constraints on what is done with their "intellectual" property once its on the net.

I'm a registered psychologist and many websites for psychologists invite downloading for personal use or one-to-one therapy but warn against distributing for one's own purposes or changing the material.

Fact is, it is now easier to "produce spoof facsimiles of magazines and brochures and maliciously distribute them as the originals at the touch of a button.

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

"Site visitors may not modify, publish, or participate in the transfer or sale of any of the content, in whole or in part." But I thought the dubbies called themselves publishers? So if you download the stuff rather than have the paper arsewipe, are you legally exempt from having to spread it around?

• double07
    double07

The difference here is that JW's purport to WANT their material to be distributed as much as possible. So saying that material from their website must not be " redistributed without written permission" seems a little odd. As does " visitors agree not to post these materials on any electronic network," as publishing extracts of copyrighted material for the purposes of meaningful discussion constitutes fair use under US copyright law. (Of course, I'm sure the GB would prefer otherwise).

It the T&C's focused on selling or modifying the material alone, there would be no questions to answer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit