Who here likes Eurovision?

by TimothyT 18 Replies latest jw friends

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Hehe Amelia. Me and Jack are the same. We get our notepads out and start rating them. Its great fun. I really do not like the political voting but im glad they have introduced the professional jury vote since 2009. They keep it real which is good. Having said that Greece and Cyprus always vote for each other, Portugal and Spain always do, all the balkans and former yougoslavian countries usualy vote for each other. Gets on my wick, but i have found it makes less of a difference overall anyway. :o)

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

If there is a song which is noticeably better than a lot of the dross the political voting does not usually hinder it.

In my mind I justify the political bias by accepting neighbouring countries will have similar taste in music.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I've always loved it! It is totally cheesy and some truly awful songs sometimes and the voting is a farce but it's brilliant! You can always guarantee certain countries will vote for other countries, sometimes a country with no points at all on the board with a truly awful song will suddenly get a 12 because another country loves them. I also love the way in the UK whoever has presented it, Terry Wogan or Graham Norton it has always been very typically (for us Brits) tongue in cheek. Love it!

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

Hi Timmy,

I'm from Europe and the song contest is popular here. I do enjoy it especially the well written balads...well the dancy, rhythmic ones aren't too bad either for entertainment purposes :)

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

It is a pity good songs often fare bad. Anyway funtime. We always watch it with my family and sometimes together with friends.

• processor
    processor

I like it, but I consider it more a comedy event than a serious musical contest. And we have really good musicians in Germany, but we always spare no effort to find an untalented, incapable Nobody and create an extraordinarily boring song for him.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

We loved Satellite. It was definitely the best song that year so it was right it won.

There has been some really appalling entries some years though and I am not excluding us Brits when I say that either.

• Diest
    Diest

Well I actually like Britans Got Talent better. As a Cowboy Yank who rides horses and brands cows (well not really, but I didnt want to ruin Cedars stereotype of a Colorado Yank) I enjoy a fair bit of Brittish TV.

PS I believe the Bush-Blair relationship showed which country was a colony of the other.

• processor
    processor

“I heard a voice coming from heaven … It was like the sound of rushing water and of loud thunder. The voice I heard was like people playing music … This large group sang a new song. They sang … in front of the four living beings and the twentyfour leaders.” (Revelation 14:2, 3, NLV)

Nearly 2000 years ago the apostle John saw in a vision the Eurovision Song Contest. He heard “people playing music” and drumbeats like “loud thunder,” since drums are playing a major role at this event. The musicians played “in front of the four living beings,” the usually two hosts and the cameramen. The “twentyfour leaders” depict the jurors who decide about the final score. Every participant sings “a new song” because according to the official rules the song “may not have been released publicly before 1 September of the year preceding.”

John also saw an “angel flying in midheaven.” (Revelation 14:6). “Angel” means “messenger,” and obviously the angel symbolizes a modern communication satellite. The European Broadcasting Union and its members use such satellites “to declare [the Eurovision Song Contest] as glad tidings to those who dwell on the earth.” (Revelation 14:6, NWT 1984) But God’s Word says regarding the TV viewers: “Day and night they have no rest, whoever receives the [TV program].” (Revelation 14:11) God even adds, “Happy are the dead,” because they do not have to endure the TV program anymore. – Revelation 14:13.

Fortunately, the whole event lasts only for a few days. Finally John “saw what looked like a sea of glass mixed with fire” – obviously the stage that is equipped with modern LED technology. “Those who had won the victory … were standing on the glassy sea. They were … singing.” (Revelation 15:2, 3, GWT) So the Eurovision Song Contest ended in John’s vision; “and there came out of the … [concert hall] the seven … [musicians] who were bringing the seven plagues” and went home. (Revelation 15:6, WEY) And “the whole … [population of Europe] now rests, free of disturbance” – Isaiah 14:7.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit