Who here likes Eurovision?

by TimothyT 18 Replies latest jw friends

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Hey guys.

For those of you in Europe, Australia and even USA if you know it, who likes the Eurovision Song Contest? Its great!!! 40 or so singers from all different countries all come together for a massive show where they all sing their song for 3 mins and then move on for the next singer. The stage shows are often immense, the songs are usually extremely catchy, the performances are totally camp, and its just BRILLIANT! At the end all the countries then vote for whose song they felt was the best. This year its being held in Azerbaijan and is looking to be the best show out of all previous 54.

Here is my favourite song of all time. Its just brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbePNvWiImU&feature=related

Timmy xxx

• cedars
    cedars

We Brits don't take it seriously at all, but I know it has much more significance on the continent - particularly in smaller Eastern countries with no political baggage who therefore have a realistic chance of winning it.

If you asked the average Brit which is of more concern to them, (1) the fact that we hardly ever win Eurovision, or (2) the fact that Terry Wogan no longer presents the live coverage - I bet most would answer according to option 2. Wogan used to spend the entire evening dryly mocking each and every contestant, which gave the whole thing purpose. Now it is left to Graham Norton to do this job, although he can never out-do his predecessor.

The act that usually wins is the one with the most outrageous costume, or otherwise camp routine (as you referred to in your OP). Music has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Incase you're wondering, the British song will be performed by Engelbert Humperdink this year - truly a sign if any were needed of how little we give a toss...

Engelbert Humperdinck

Cedars

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Hehe thanks Cedars for your input. Yes I know all the participants this year and my money (figurativly of course) is on Norway or Sweden who both take it ever so seriously.

I like Graham Norton and you are right, its funny how they really rip into the foreign acts, even though sometimes i disagree. Truth is, the competition has become REALLLLY good since 2009. Before then it was a bit of a joke. I must be honest though. I really dont know what the European people want. Every year they vote for crap. The best song usually ends up winning but its a really odd and illogical process - Thats what makes it so exciting though! :)

Timmy x

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Yep! I love it! It's good for a laugh but as you say, the music has been getting better so it's worth watching for the musical (and camp) content!

• cedars
    cedars

If you guys across the pond like it so much, you should create your own similar competition for the Americas! lol

I bet countries like Cuba and Belize would always win...

Cedars

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

All those who've responded so far are from England and Australia, Cedars!

Not everyone here is American....

• cedars
    cedars

Well blow me down, I thought Timmy was a yank! You learn something new every day...

I'm always getting the colonials mixed up - sorry about that.

Cedars

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Hehe... yes I was born in Chester and now I live in Wales! :)

Anyway! GO EUROVISION!!! Seriously I love how gay it is! My cousin and his husband love it and me and Jack are going to theirs for a Eurovision party! So excited! Lol! So gay!

Timmy :) x

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Love Eurovision and managed to watch it even when we lived abroad.

We score each song and also note which of the higher point votes go to a neighbouring country.

The politics have spoilt it in recent years imo.

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

Nope, but I have full understanding why you like it.

CP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit