Surprised by confessions of my brother

by the_raisin 19 Replies latest jw friends

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

This is sort of random but...

I was talking to my brother the other day... and he spilled the beans on some JW friends we had back in the day. These were hard-core, religious JW teenagers, the kind that were chaperoned when they went on dates with good-standing sisters, the kind that, while they would not snitch on you, they would 'lovingly' offer counsel and all that.

Turns out that in those times my parents allowed my brother to sleep-over at Brother A's house, A would invite his older brother (B) and another good-standing youth to strip clubs :o. They would drink at Brother B's apartment as well.

This shocks me, which shouldn't, but does, because I've know A, B and C for YEARS and I truly thought they were very into the religion and all that.

Ha, so I guess there were more living the double life...

Out of (morbid) curiosity, what was the most shocking thing to find out about a fellow sister/brother?

• TOTH
    TOTH

Back in Albuquerque around 1972 or 73 I found out that the "new brother" from California was seducing one of the overseers' youngest brother. He was a twenty something guy and the guy from California was VERY good looking according to the sisters. He was outed when the overlords' bother found out he wasn't the only one being diddled....

• moshe
    moshe

I saw a sister buy marked down Easter candy once!!!( i'm enjoying my 75% off box of marshmallow peeps tonight) Oh, what a way to invite the demons to go home with you!!

And another time I caught a spinster sister selling her worn out Disco records at a yard sale!! Didn't she listen to those warnings from the GB about the evils of Disco music?-(her dad loved wearing lesiure suits to the KH)- hey, maybe he listened to disco, too!!

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

TOTH- Wow that's pretty scandalous!!!

moshe- I thought it was a common activity, to buy marked down holiday candy :p Easter was/is my favorite, those marshmallow eggs are to die for!!! LMAO DISCO was evil? Whooooaaa!!!

• moshe
    moshe

Some KH's were very vigilant about warning the brothers of the dangers of "touching the unclean thing" - Xmas and Easter candy is bad one day- and then the next day it's kosher for JWs? That apostate thinking is going to allow statan into your mind!!

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

Bwuahahaha very very true!!! It was the same with Thanksgiving/Christmas dinners. I knew many families who would cook turkeys/hams the NEXT day, invite a bunch of friends, and claim that it was ok, because they weren't celebrating Thanksgiving, no sirree!!!

My mom was one of them. I hang my head in shame, because I actually enjoyed the meals :D

• talesin
    talesin

I ran into a guy I grew up with (who never got baptized) in my mid-30s. We became friends once again, and hung out for a few years.

I asked him once "Why didn't any of the guys our age ever ask me out or show any interest in me? Why didn't I ever get invited to get-togethers?"

He said that they knew they wouldn't 'get any' from me, and that I was the kind of girl they would marry, after they had their fun sleeping around. Now, these are guys whose fathers were elders, very upstanding examples in the congregation, pioneers. I was shocked. My response was also one of disgust -- they could use girls for sex (used goods), but wanted to marry someone "pure" --- why would they assume I would want their used goods? Soooo sexist!

Then he told me about how most of the other teens were smoking weed and having sex, drinking, etc., but I was such a 'goody two shoes' that no one ever invited me - they were also all afraid of my brother and father (that's a whole thread in itself hehehe).

Oh yes, I was very naive about the double life that most JWs live ... not anymore, though, after watching the stuff my JW sibling has gotten away with for 3 decades (secret smoker and now a recovering alcoholic).

tal

• Scott77
    Scott77

marked for later reading

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

Awwwwwww talesin!!! That's so gross, as IF you should've been thankful you were considered for the honor of being a WIFE!

I remember thinking how crazy it was that my JW friends were so WILD, while my worldly friends were so MILD. The JW friends I had were mostly popular girls in highschool, drinking, partying, doing pot and having sex, and whenever I would tell my mom, she wouldn't believe me!!!

I have another story: Two years ago I went back to Chicago, where I'm originally from. I received a text from an old JW friend, the one who slept around, did pot, drank and hated lesbians. So my husband and I pick her up in the middle of the night, and she tells us she needs ten bucks and a ride to Walgreens. She asks me to accompany her, she takes me to the pharmacy and tells me, straightfaced: I need you to buy the plan b.

:o

Nineteen years old, living with her JW parents, baptized young woman... who was broke, needed plan b, and wanted ME to buy it because she could not risk her reputation. When I told my husband, he couldn't believe it!

• talesin
    talesin

the_raisin --- yes, yes, yes!

The "worldly" guy that I ended up dating at 18, and marrying,,, was a virgin! He treated me like a precious find. And his circle of friends partied, it's true, but like you said ,,, MILD. And very little gossip.

He didn't drink and was a real nice guy. I couldn't handle being married to a pothead, though. Too much money went up in smoke, and it was soooo boring. But he wasn't a hypocrite about it.

Plan B - is that the morning-after pill? Shocking indeed!

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit