Female Householder Stabbed/Raped by Purported JW in Tennessee

by skeeter1 23 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• james_woods
    james_woods

What all above said - not a real JW. For one thing, he was not dressed as a door to door JW.

• undercover
    undercover

I agree with 'under the radar'. My first thought was that it was an imposter. It's easy enough to do. Grab a WT magazine from a laundromat, dress half way nice and knock on the door.

If it was a JW, IF, that is, it's just more evidence that JWs aren't really any different than the rest of society. There is no 'united brotherhood' or 'spiritual paradise'. There are good folks, honest folks, well-meaning, god fearing folks. There are also bad folks, dishonest folks, crooks, child abusers and murderers as well.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

True, we don't know if the accused man is a Jehovah's Witness. That is an open question.

BUT, I remind all that this type of crime did occur a few years back in the UK. Many elderly people were raped by a JW(or a man who helped his JW wife to door-to-door, I couldn't figure out if he was a real JW) who used the "door to door" work to scope out his victims. See the below "Night Stalker" articles, where the man returned to the victims' homes after dark. James_Woods, the Night Stalker was not dressed as a JW at the time of his rapes either! There were multiple threads here on JWN. Here, the home was owned by elderly parents; and the accused man came in the afternoon. Could he had canvassed the neighborhood earlier in the day while going 'door to door'? Changed clothes, and returned to do his evil plot?

THe information the JWs collect while going door to door is very valuable to any criminal, and especially a rapist. Who was home? Time of day? Dogs? Alarm? Door locked? Living alone? This is why the Victoria Austrailia law is important, and also why convicted sex offenders should not be allowed in the door to door ministry.

Serial Rapist used Jehovah Witness door to door to scope out victims http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8400317/Night-Stalker-how-Delroy-Grant-picked-his-targets.html Night Stalker: how Delroy Grant picked his targets It is also thought he was able to check on addresses when he drove his wife, a committed Jehovah’s … Daily Telegraph · 20 minutes ago

It is also thought he was able to check on addresses when he drove his wife, a committed Jehovah’s Witness around the area where she would preach door to door.

This is HUGE he used door to door as a Jehovah's Witnesses to target and rape 200 woman Telegraph.co.uk - Martin Evans - Caroline Gammell - 4 hours ago It was around this time he met devoted Jehovah's Witness Jennifer Edwards. They married at Lewisham registry office in November 1991 and friends from the ... Video: Night Stalker police 'sorry' for mistakes YouTube ITN NEWS Detectives left baffled by family man Delroy Grant's sexual ...‎ - Evening Standard Night Stalker guilty of raping elderly women in 17-year reign of ...‎ - Daily Mail The Guardian - Reuters UK
    all 754 news articles »

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Brutal Rape, Stabbing Leaves Powell’s Crossroads Area Residents Frightened But Resolute

Marion County Detective Urges Witnesses To Contact Sheriff’s Department About Possible Leads
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - by Judy Frank

Three days after a woman in a nearby house was raped, stabbed and beaten, lifelong Marion County resident Karen Hudson and her neighbors in the isolated rural area near Powell’s Crossroads aren’t taking any chances.

“When my kids went in the military, they gave me a pistol cause they wanted me to be safe,” the 55-year-old woman said Monday evening. Nowadays, she said, she and “Pete” the pistol go everywhere together.

And she’s not alone, she said. People throughout the community, where many families did not even lock their doors, are now armed and vigilant.

What's more, they're all on the lookout for people matching the description of the woman's assailant, who reportedly has a gray goatee as well as bad teeth and breath, and is about 5'8" to 5'10" tall and was described as weighing 200 pounds or more.

Authorities said the woman was at a residence alone cleaning her mother's house when the man appeared indicating he was a Jehovah's Witness. When she told him to leave, he forced his way inside.

Neighbors are also upset, she said, because their attempts to pass on information to local law enforcement officers have gotten no response.

For example, she said, one area resident saw a man running through the yard of the house where the attack happened not long afterwards, but has yet to be contacted by officers.

That comes as a surprise to Marion County Sheriff’s Detective Gene Hargis, who was one of the numerous officers who responded to the victim’s 911 call on Friday afternoon reporting the incident.

“If somebody saw somebody running away from the house, they haven’t told us about it,” he said flatly Monday evening.

He would very much like to talk to that person, he added, urging anybody with information about the attack and possible perpetrators to come to the sheriff’s department or contact him by telephone.

When officers arrived at the scene, the 34-year-old victim – who remains hospitalized – “was in and out of consciousness,” the detective said. “She had a 6-inch knife stuck in her abdomen, and he kept hitting her head against the floor . . . She was hurt pretty bad.”

There may be additional witnesses with information who officers have not yet had time to contact, he said.

Investigators worked on the case throughout the weekend, he said, as well as on an unrelated assault on a child which occurred in the county on the same day.

“We’ve been out in the field pretty much the whole time,” he noted, explaining why calls from some Powell’s Crossroads residents with possible leads have yet to be returned.

Word of the Powell’s Crossroad incident spread rapidly through the area, he said. “When we got there, there were 30 people around the scene,” according to Detective Hargis.

Responding officers searched abandoned barns and houses throughout the area, he said, to make certain the woman’s assailant wasn’t hiding in one of them. There was no need to go door to door to warn area residents to be cautious, he said: “They already knew.”

Several suspects already have been identified and tracked down, Detective Hargis said. “We eliminated three of them so far today.”

• undercover
    undercover

I'd bet my last nickel that he does have some knowledge of or connection to the JWs, perhaps through family. What complete stranger to the JWs would even think of using that ploy?

Thinking about that statement - it could very well be an ex-JW. Instead of bringing reproach on the organization, if this were the case, it could hurt local ex-JW's reputation among JW friends and family as JWs proclaim "See what happens when you leave 'the Truth'? You attack and try to kill people".

But - while we caution against jumping to conclusions and taking delight in the JW reputation being scarred at the expense of an innocent person, I'm sure JWs would be much quicker to "take glee" at the prospect of an apostate getting caught in some heinous crime.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

In any event, JW or ex, householders in that area are going to be much less likely to open doors.

• Scully
    Scully

He appears to have an eerily similar MO to JW convicted violent sex offender Curtis Thompson.

• Think About It
    Think About It

I wonder if the elders in that area were smart enough to suspend door-to-door witnessing and volunteer their help in the investigation? Odds are this guy has some past connection to the JW religion.

Think About It

• steve2
    steve2
    Many elderly people were raped by a JW(or a man who helped his JW wife to door-to-door, I couldn't figure out if he was a real JW) who used the "door to door" work to scope out his victims.

Well skeeter1 that's helpful. Not. Looks like in your account you try to cover all bases He was a JW, or a man who helped his JW wife go door to door). Surely that shouldn't be difficult to ascertain? As a trial judge might be inclined to say, "The facts ma'am...just the facts".

• Joliette
    Joliette

OMG that is terrible.

It is NOT SAFE going to door to door, and it is NOT SAFE accepting information from people at the door. Field circus is just not safe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit