what was the reason for canceling the book study in private homes

by reds 48 Replies latest jw friends

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

We used to prepared the Watchtower study for the meeting at our home on Saturdays. We would invited different familly for that and had dinner afterward. My husband, a host and an elder, coustumarily conducted the study. At one point we were told by the CO that no person should conduct private home Bible study. We were directed to have everyone take turn reading the paragraph from the magazine and ask designated question and answer the question upon he/she finish reading the paragraph. In that way no one will be in teaching position or can influence others with his view point. And that's what we ended up did. They bascically discourgaed the private Bible study even in preparing the Watchtower study . I thought that was odd. That was sevral years before canceling the book study

I look back that the GB were in extrem paranoid for not able to control what's going on beyond the KH level to the point canceling the book study all together. It seemed that they have been contemplating in canceling it for a while until they can come up with the excuse. The high gas price-What a patheticic excuse to use to deceive their followers! They never resumed it following year when the gas price dropped.

Believe me, one thing they are not is that they have your best interest. They will through you to the wolf and sign contract with the devil in a second to benefit them and to meet their agenda.

Maybe a pedophile issue played in some roll too. We have several those that I know of in the area along with their victims of as young as 3 year-old!

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

Wasn't it just slightly before the organisation reassured and explained wider this co-existing generations thingy. At least for me the purpose of the book study at home was explained as precaution for forthcoming persecution. When this would happen we would only meet in private homes. As it was obvious that the end wasn't in such near future as was thought earlier, they could temporarilly simplify things and get rid of meetings in private homes. Be certain than when the end is really really near again this arrangement will pop-up again.

CP

• moshe
    moshe

Uhh, food allergies? Maybe sister Kumquat who had a peanut allergy, ate a fudge brownie at Brother and Sister Rockerfeller's house that mistakenly did have nuts in it and she got deathly ill- and died, after a month's worth of expensive hospital care- and then the insurance lawyers sued the Rockerfeller's homeowners insurance company and also, went after the WT Corp (deeper pockets), because that local KH (with a WT mortgage) arranged for that study to be held in that home and it was the WT appointed elders who assigned Sr Kumquat to that home study- yes, I think that is the reason they cancelled those home book studies.. If she had only been assigned to the KH (no snacks), she would still be alive and wouldn't have left behind a husband and three children to forever mourn the loss of her care and love.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I was kind of shocked, because while there was a lot of bonding between those assigned, it also allowed you to develop a closer relationship and trust in a particular elder. Where I was, it was common to call your BS conductor first. He was also the one who would look out for the members of his group first---because it was small and he knew us better.

If someone was sick, it was the BS groups that organized meals and other needs. If someone needed help with something, it was usually the BS group that responded first. It was easy to get lost and overlooked at the bigger meetings. BS groups relieved a lot of pressure for those with social anxieties and health issues. I was one that was terrified of the mic, but was able to comment at BS.

I remember cookouts, camping trips, and such that an entire cong couldn't really do, but smaller BS groups often planned together.

It's all dust now----but when I was still 'in' I was shocked that they took this away. Fortunately, I had just gone inactive, so I never dealt with it. But I still considered it callous. Just more dehumanization. Anything that was good and warm about the group was being taken away---leaving only the rules.

NC

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

NewChapter, I remember the caomping trips!!!! Those were my favorite!!! Before the economy in the States took a nosedive, every summer we went to Michigan/Wisconsin/Indiana with other families, and regardless of what went on in the meetings, those few days were the best!!!!

I also thought it was cold to take it away. The little old ladies were sad about it :(.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I'm one that doesn't think the legal dept had much to do with it. My understanding is the home owner assumes all liability. So if you trip, you sue the them and not the WTS.

And I'm sure that claim was challenged by the Insurance company for several reasons. Type of policy purchased, also covering a religiously sanctioned event, etc etc. Having that open liability extend outside the KH was way too loosey goosey for the legal dept.

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I went to a book study once where the host always clicked on Monday Night Football as soon as the prayer was over. Several of the men and boys got caught up on the score along with him as the ladies went into the other room and chatted. The CO got wind of this and had it out with the Book Study host. He stood his ground and maintained that it was his home, and he could do whatever he wanted as soon as the meeting was over. The CO countered that as long as he was dressed for the Book Study, he technically was still there in his capacity as host. From that point on he went straight into his room and changed immediately after the prayer so he could watch football. It was such a petty and childish game. The WTS can't have the same level of control over home book studies as they can in an KH gathering. But the primary reason I think they cancelled it is that there are no donation boxes in people's homes, so they weren't really benefiting from it in the first place.

• moshe
    moshe

Cool, watching football on Monday night- starting at 8:35pm.

• Perry
    Perry

Probably just making it easier on people with busy lifestyles. If you have young school-kids, two weeknights out is pretty much an impossibility.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I didn't even know that they had moved from the home to the hall??? Don't know if that has been facilitated in South Africa?? Our bookstudy nights were "awesome" We would ALWAYS have tea, biscuits and cake afterwards. It used to be once a month but we all like each other so much that we made it every week :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit