what was the reason for canceling the book study in private homes

by reds 48 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I think it is probably a combination of things.

They don't have as much control. I noticed that those that hosted BS were becoming less gracious about it. They were tired, and didn't want people wandering through their houses, wanted them to leave so they could get rest. Fewer people were even offering up their homes, and we had a shortage. One woman I know had the BS pulled from her house, because she had to get up at like 4 in the morning, and didn't like to have goody nights once a month---she was tired! In the past, I think most hosts justs tried their best to set these things aside and not express them---but today I think many are half awake and less tolerant. The end hasn't come, and it's been 100 years, and they are more cranky.

These internet sites are taking their toll. While a lot of individuals may not visit them, if just one in a small group has, the ideas can be passed along. And they can sit for hours and a comfy kitchen table, drinking tea and discussing them.

I noticed too, that BS groups tended to form tighter and more personal bonds with each other. Kind of like an extended family. I don't think the WT likes this as much now that they are losing control. These small groups build more trust in each other, and people are more likely to let their guard down and share those forbidden ideas.

I'm one that doesn't think the legal dept had much to do with it. My understanding is the home owner assumes all liability. So if you trip, you sue the them and not the WTS.

Or perhaps it's the reason that all JW's are sure of. THE END IS NEAR AND JEHOVAH IS PREPARING HIS PEOPLE. HE IS TRYING TO PROTECT THEM FROM DETECTION BY THE WILD BEAST. IT'S CLOSE NOW!

However, I tend to doubt the last reason listed. I'm just not faithful that way.

• shepherd
    shepherd

"I noticed that those that hosted BS were becoming less gracious about it. "

As someone who used to host these meetings I have to take the opposite view. Many attendee's were less and less respectful of being in another person's home. I used to have to hide a lot of ornaments etc because the parents did nothing to control their wayward children. As the years went by I found the situation got worse and worse.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

As someone who used to host these meetings I have to take the opposite view. Many attendee's were less and less respectful of being in another person's home

Absolutely, and I didn't use the right word. (gracious) I was trying to think of the best one, and that one came out, but it didn't mean what I was trying to say. They were becoming less likely to just submissively smile and let it all pass in the spirit of christian love. People are getting ruder, and they were getting tired of it. Now what word would encompass that? Not sure---but this was more a reflection on the quality of people that were going into homes, and how much more aggravating they were, and how less inclined a home owner is to turn a blind eye.

NC

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Let's face it. The Book Study was dying. Attendance was very poorly attended. I remember at Elder meetings with the CO, when the attendance issue came up, he asked us what we were doing about it. I finally asked him, what are the other congregations doing about it? He said, they are all in the same boat. Attendance was low all along the country. They had to close it with dignity. Some Book Studies consisted of only two publishers. The Elder and his wife. I kid you not. But, the end is near, you know.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Attendance was low all along the country. They had to close it with dignity.

One down---4 more to go. (How many meetings do they say they have now? they used to say 5 even though it was only 3 days.)

NC

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Errr...sorry, NC.

No one told me there would be math on this site.

• pontoon
    pontoon

They still say they have five. bk study, school & service meeting all in one night, then the public talk and Wat. But just think how all of them have been cut back in time and material.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I think it was legal, meanness on part of the Governing Body, and falling youth numbers.

A person's home is too much liability. The Watchtower is having an official meeting at someone else's house. How does WTS legal ensure that the premises are safe, no ice on sidewalk, etc. Plus, what if the person's homeowner's insurance wouldn't pay for damages; or the person didn't have insurance.

Second, too warm & fuzzy of a meeting. Everyone really liked that meeting the best. Provided for socialization. Remember, the WTS even controls parties (host to play KM music, curtail conversation back to Kingdom discussion, etc.).

JW youth are leaving in droves. This night gives parents responsibility to spend some 1-on-1 time with the kids. Not going to work. The parents are only part of the reason the JW youth leave in droves. The other part, the Watchtower, can't be fixed.

• red21
    red21

The bookstudy was the only way to really get to know anyone. Service tends to splinter into groups of friends and family. Move into a congregation and it is hard to break into those cliques. The bookstudy helped...but man, with a family and kids it was a tremendous amount of effort to get there and back. The 3 meetings a week with kids and getting home from work was kicking our butts. We got TIRED! However, I am one that was very surprised after so many years of hearing how important this was to have it cancelled. I discussed this recently with my sister who is inactive but still defends them. I asked her what they cancelled or shortened with the elimination of the BS. She emphatically implied "nothing"...but I said, they have the same two meetings now, the same school, service meeting, public talk, and watchtower study...to add the BS, something got shortened! Had to, to make room! She said she would check on that and get back to me...she never did. When the discussion of Franz was brought up to a long time Bethelite, he could only claim that him and his wife were arrogant in their opinion...however, that still didn't refute what he said in his book? I found that very interesting. They resorted to name calling...NO FACTS. I still think there are good people in JWs just as their are good people in many religions. I think virtually all of them are failed religions.

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

I agree that the book study was more 'social' than regular meetings. In fact, my kh supported the idea of a small 'party' at individual book studies every three weeks or so. The brothers and sisters would bring homemade goodies, and for the most part us teens loved to use this as an opportunity to gossip and just relax.

When they first announced the cesation, I honestly believed it was my kh's fault, because the rumor was that the book study wasn't taken seriously and there was too much 'socializing' going on, and I truly believed they KNEW we were gossiping :p .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit