The Bible

by N.drew 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• N.drew
    N.drew

The Bible is not an instruction book and it is not a history book. It is a story.

The reason for the thread is posters keep on posting that there are other books of wisdom. OK. There is more than one story book too. Tell someone a story and they will take it to heart.

I will try to remember how the proverb I heard goes.

Tell someone something, they might hear you.

Teach someone something, they might learn.

Tell someone a story, and they will carry it forever.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It is a story, in parts. It is also a fascinating collection of writings from many periods of history, from writers of various backgrounds and with various agendas as they write.

It is interesting as you read to see the various influences, the evolution of belief from the earlier writings to the later, from poly to mono theism for example, and to see how much is sourced from other beliefs and writings, traces of many esoteric teachings are evident in much of it.

But, as you rightly say, it is not an instruction book, any instructions in there are 2,000 years out of date at least, and the "history" that is in there is closer to what we would label as fiction today.

It should still be read by as many people as possible if they come from a Judeo-christian culture though, to better understand ones history, culture, and even language with its idioms.

I take your point about stories too, who can forget the story, and wonderful lesson, of the Good Samaritan for example ?

• Fernando
    Fernando

Just been thinking about that today.

For me is a story in the form of a message (called the gospel) about the greatest legal "custody battle" ever.

We are offered the chance to leave our evil step-father's family (religion) and rejoin our heavenly father's family (and receive a free joint share of all that belongs to our older brother Jesus). We are not required to "measure up", earn, deserve or pay for a place in his family.

To allow this our evil step-father demanded a very high ransom price (the death of our older brother Jesus).

• N.drew
    N.drew

Thank you Phizzy. The way I see it is it is A Story. It has a plot like Fernando says, and it is made up of many subplots but it can be looked at as one story.

I disagree that we don't have the need to "deserve" a place. It is written (and I believe it) "you must be holy because I am holy" NWT. To know the story is to know what holy means.

14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, 15 but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; 16 because it is written, “Y OU SHALL BE HOLY , FOR I AM HOLY .” 1 Peter 1:14-16 NASB

Men have tried to explain what it means to be holy but people can only discover it for the themselves.

• N.drew
    N.drew

What is my evidence for my belief that one needs to deserve a place?

9 Hathach came back and related Mordecai’s words to Esther. 10 Then Esther spoke to Hathach and ordered him to reply to Mordecai: 11 “All the king’s servants and the people of the king’s provinces know that for any man or woman who comes to the king to the inner court who is not summoned, he has but one law, that he be put to death, unless the king holds out to him the golden scepter so that he may live. And I have not been summoned to come to the king for these thirty days.” 12 They related Esther’s words to Mordecai.

It's a story.

• Perry
    Perry

My children, ages 5 and 7 can only relate to me through faith (belief). Our ability to KNOW things is vastly different. It will ALWAYS be like this in relation to God.

The bible contains historical accounts of what happens when finite beings don't believe God - who is infinite.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Good point Perry. Thank you.

I also believe the Bible contains some historical accounts.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    The bible contains historical accounts of what happens when finite beings don't believe God - who is infinite.

Ha, that's like saying that GONE WITH THE WIND contains historical accounts of what happened. Good fiction is dropped into real settings. Some people think SHERLOCK HOLMES was real because the places he was reported to be solving crimes within really existed in the way the stories tell it.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey N.drew!

Might I suggest that a fallen, imperfect, dysfunctional sinner (all of us) cannot achieve the required mark of perfect holiness so as to earn or deserve adoption as a holy son of God.

If this was possible Jesus died for nothing.

A legal transaction takes place where the believer's sin or dysfunction is imputed to Jesus, and Jesus' holiness (and righteousness) is IMPUTED to the believer. The persons Paul addressed as "the holy ones" were all sinners - their holiness was IMPUTED.

(Romans 3:20) . . .Therefore by works of law no flesh will be declared righteous before him, for by law is the accurate knowledge of sin.

(Romans 3:22-24) . . .For there is no distinction. For all have sinned [are dysfunctional] and fall short of the glory of God, and it is as a free gift that they are being declared righteous by his undeserved kindness through the release by the ransom [paid] by Christ Jesus.

(Ephesians 2:8-9) . . .By this undeserved kindness, indeed, YOU have been saved through faith; and this not owing to YOU, it is God’s gift. No, it is not owing to works, in order that no man should have ground for boasting.

(Acts 13:39) and that from all the things from which YOU could not be declared guiltless by means of the law of Moses, everyone who believes is declared guiltless by means of this One.

(Galatians 3:11) Moreover, that by law no one is declared righteous with God is evident, because “the righteous one will live by reason of faith.”

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

In what way am I a "fallen, imperfect, dysfunctional sinner " ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit