question about racial demographics

by Iris10401 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at.
    In Philly, the congregation I attended was mostly black. Of course, so was the territory.
    In suburban Philly, it was mixed almost 50/50 (black and white, with a few hispanic and chinese). The territory is mostly white (maybe 70/30).
    In Seminole, FL., it was mostly white. Same goes for the territory.
    In Clearwater, FL., it was mixed. Same as the territory.
    In the Poconos, it was as white as the snow-capped mountains, both the congregation, territory, and, ironically, the congregation (White Haven congregation) LOL!

• Iris10401
    Iris10401

I would like to thank everyone for their responses to my question. I don't know much about the faith, so I didn't recognize the appeal to the underprivileged and lonely and it wasn't exactly a question I could ask the kind older couple who teach me. I live in Pittsburgh, and the Kingdom Hall I attended isn't right in the city, but it is in a very close suburb.

Anyway, what you all had to say made a lot of sense. I have lots of questions about how things REALLY work, and the little book "What Does God Require Of Us?" doesn't have many answers, and I don't have the time to actively investigate by getting involved with the people. I am so interested in what it's like for people who convert to or leave any religion, changing their lives so drastically and adopting a new perception of reality and outlook on life.

Adonai438, I would be glad to chat with you anytime. What faith did you adopt after leaving the JWs? What do you believe now?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit