Respect for the Scientific Disciplines

by sabastious 11 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

There is a really good movie called Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World starring Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany. The setting is a ship at sea in the early 19th century. Crowe plays the captain of the ship, a man of faith, and Bettany plays a physcian who studies the world around him. The two characters are in stark contrast with each other, but are dear friends. This duo is one of my favorite duos of all movies. It's all based on a large book series written by Patrick O'Brian.

In the 19th century it was science that took a back seat to faith which seems the exact opposite today. We still have many religious people in churches around the world or knocking on people's doors, but there's a big difference today. In the past, scientists probably felt the need to hide their work to devout religious people or anyone they didn't fully trust. To many people back then science was lumped in with evil mysticism or regarded as a fools errand. Prejudice has always been a war humans can't seem to get away from.

What seems to happen, however, is that the oppressed can easily fall into oppressing. It's an odd human phenomenon, but is very consistant. Take science for example: what used to be a humble method is now a mainstream consciousness. To call the scientific method a fools errand today would likely get you targeted for vitriol.

The interesting thing about science is that it stands on the weight of it's own accomplishments. We really can't call science in it's infancy stage anymore. That was what gave rise to the people who criticized its existence, they were able to point out it's flaw as something new. They were temporarily greater than it. However, just like Dr Stephen Maturin in Master and Commander the scientists just quietly took samples when they could. While the religionists fought over the resources of the planet the scientists were striving to discover how it all worked. People like you and I today get to reap the benefit of all that hard work. It is a travesty to call science a fools errand. It was something threatening and new to people hundreds of years ago, yes, and understandably. It was magic to them, but it's not to us. We should know better.

But, there is always a way to fudge it all up. Never is there a path that leads straight to the end of the rainbow. Life is not a play you watch from an audience, but a choose your own adventure book. As science stands tall on the pillars of it's own accomplishments will it's adherents ignore the patterns of the past and become the oppressors themselves? That's where the choice lies.

Dr Lawrence Krauss, a renowned cosmologist, put it nicely, he said that if you use a toaster then you should acknowledge the hard work that made it possible. I, for one, eagerly await what the scientists figure out next. They deserve much more respect, and credit, than they get.

-Sab

• cantleave
    cantleave

I agree.....

...but then I should.

• xchange
    xchange

I actually don't find it oppressive that science has told me that if I sail off into the horizon, I'm not going to fall of the edge of the world.

• metatron
    metatron

As with the Big Bang Theory - more respect for engineering (practical and real), less respect for theoretical science (often unempirical, here of late)

metatron

• sabastious
    sabastious
    As with the Big Bang Theory - more respect for engineering (practical and real), less respect for theoretical science (often unempirical, here of late)

Hello metatron, theoretical physics should solve all our problems, eventually.

-Sab

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

We don't sacrifice virgins to get the gods to make it rain anymore....thanks science-man! Sorry, to the thousands who were sacrificed in vain but that religious ignorance for ya.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Metatron: more respect for engineering (practical and real), less respect for theoretical science (often unempirical, here of late)

Yeah, Albert Einstein, we don't need your theoretical physics junkin' up our universities when we have perfectly good, practical engineering cirriculums out there! What have your theories of special and general relativity done for me lately, anyways?

I keed, Metatron. Maybe that's a strawman on my part. But if we discredit theoretical science and put it on the backburner, aren't we applying the brakes on man's progress? Doesn't theoretical science provide the foundations for a lot of practical applications in the future?

Short-term v. long-term - a subset of the excluded middle, but so important I've pulled it out for special attention (e.g., We can't afford programmes to feed malnourished children and educate preschool kids. We need to urgently deal with crime on the streets. Or: why explore space or pursue fundamental science when we have so huge a budget deficit?) - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World, p.202

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

A real twist of irony is the words of Watchtower lawyer Donald Ridley. Complaining about information presented by Dr. Osama Muramoto, Ridley wrote:

“It is unfortunate that Muramoto has found a forum in three issues of this journal to advance arguments that rest on a theory roundly debunked by the scientific community over a decade ago.”—Ridley, Jehovah’s Witnesses’ refusal of blood, Journal of Medical Ethics, 1999;25:469-472)

Watchtower’s leadership makes its living advancing arguments rested on theories roundly debunked by the scientific community!

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• metatron
    metatron

Straw men, indeed. What I see are String Theories - that have little or no testable basis, fusion research that always promises net energy gain in another twenty years , particle accelerators that offer no forseeable practical benefit and outright persecution of "heretics".

That said, an 'attitude of gratitude' is always a good spiritual practice. This is a marvelous time to be alive and wonderful things are afoot.

Give us free energy and the long misrule of the elite will end - permanently. Not Paradise but a freedom we've never known.

metatron

• Fernando
    Fernando

“The idea of being spiritual – not religious – is increasingly popular among the scientific community as well as in American culture at large. Many scientists who are politically liberal don’t want to associate with religion because of its conservative valence today. Historically, there are no boundary disputes between spirituality and science, unlike religion and science" (Prof David Yamane).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit