Gutless WTS Leadership From the "Confidentiality" Letter

by LostGeneration 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LostGeneration
  • Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

In reality the elders would warn the congregation to "avoid the severely depressed person because they have gone off the rails"

• Open mind
  • cantleave
    cantleave

The crushed I can guarantee you this is a genuine letter, I have seen it from two other verifiable sources.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

On reading this, I felt my flashpoint lower itself by several tens of degrees Celsius!:

- it brought back painful memories of the rough way in which my daughter was treated by the elders, after her attempted suicide (an event brought about by the death by accident of her 16 year old brother).

Held in judgement by a panel of "The Unlettered and Ordinary" (consisting of a boilermaker, a swimming pool cleaner, and the inevitable window cleaner), they nearly completed what her brother's death had initiated.

What else can you expect from a lot that cares not one jot for the welfare of the R&F!

Bill.

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

LostGeneration, You have a PM

• Listener
    Listener

At best they are to 'suspend' a hearing and not even consider whether the hearing is baseless or frivilous and the issue could be dealt with in a much better way.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There is no statement about suggesting an md or perhaps a trip to the er, where resources exist to prevent suicide? What can the Legal Department do? I've graduated law school Neither law school nor the bar exam has any knowledge of severe depression, stress, and suicide. If there is no medical wording, it may mean that depression is a minor stress with no changes in brain chemistry. A view that harkens to the turn of last century.

I don't see what legal liability the WT would have if someone committed suicide. They insultate themselves from actions at the KH level. I don't know a single lawyer, except perhaps someone with an M.D./J.D. who would have knowledge.

I would not know what to do. It is above both my pay grade and education.

Character defects - yes. Biochemistry - no.

Asking a lawyer what to do with suicide is a joke.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    There is no statement about suggesting an md or perhaps a trip to the er, where resources exist to prevent suicide? What can the Legal Department do? I've graduated law school Neither law school nor the bar exam has any knowledge of severe depression, stress, and suicide. If there is no medical wording, it may mean that depression is a minor stress with no changes in brain chemistry. A view that harkens to the turn of last century.

Back when I was a dub a few years ago I was speaking with an elder who was trying to encourage me and I told him that I wanted to go see a professional because my depression problems were worsening. His face noticeably turned red, he was genuinely put off by the idea of the Jehovah/Elder tandem being ineffective. Even though it's a bigoted position he had a point. The Watchtower can't back up their grandiose claims because when they are faced with tough problems they eventually have to defer to worldly professionals. This is because many people in the "world" chose to get educated on the brain and become psychologists. A foreign concept to an elder which is a very sad, but unfortunate truth. This elder was obviously in over his head which must be a recurring theme in many of their lives.

There are 1 800 hot lines you can call which are not mentioned in the letter. The Watchtower, still, feels that if someone is feeling suicidal that they must not be applying their system correctly. They are so egotistical as to think that secular help for depression is still second best to them, as people are dying on their watch. It's sickening.

-Sab

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

They still believe depression is caused by a "secret sin" so more field service and praying will cure it!

My guess is the reason the legal department need to know asap is for their own damage limitation control.

If the person has been known to have been suffering depression for a long time and wrong advice had been given prior to a suicide attempt they might be seen to have been negligent. If psyciatric treatment had been sought but discouraged by the elders and the person guilt tripped into stopping help or medication they could be held liable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit