Is everyone entitled to their opinion?

by Dogpatch 35 Replies latest jw friends

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    Surely, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    Equally, everyone is responsible for how they express it,

I tried to make that point a couple weeks ago and was quickly put in my place. One even said that they have no responsibility whatsoever to be understandable, and that the onus is on the rest of us to figure out what they're saying. And God help us, if they are misunderstood.....

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I'll be honest, compared to some boards, this is a tough one. People get scared off all the time, and I rememebr back in the day when I was 1st looking up JW boards, that I thought everyone here was a drama queen. I just keep in mind that every stupid comment is a mouse click away from going away. Gleen what u can. Disregard what u feel u need to

• Simon
    Simon

It's a tought line to find.

On the one hand, the great thing about the internet is it gives everyone a voice ... on the downside though, it gives everyone a voice.

I'm sorry, but some people just don't deserve the same consideration / platform as others. It's not just 'do you agree with me' (in general, not talking about the forum here) but it's whether people can keep to accepted norms of society.

America seems to have a bigger problem than the rest of the world as they allow the whole thing to becomes a big legal problem where lots of lawyers can get rich off the system instead of people just allowing common sense to prevail.

I'm all for free-speech as long as it's by reasonable people. I don't extend the courtesy to Neo Nazis, NAMBLA or other nut jobs. Why should we?

Free-speech was originally mean to be about political expression. It's been subverted in order for people to make money off it and has become more a way more complex issue than it ever should.

The trouble is that reasonable people forget that we outnumber everyone else. We Just need to get more militant about things.

LOL, yes - that's irony right there folks.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    I'll be honest, compared to some boards, this is a tough one.

Yet this board is one of the warmest and most supportive forums on the net. In my experience.

Great fun and very serious too.

A good place.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

it just depends how thick skinned u are

• cantleave
    cantleave

I think everyone has a right to their opinion, but I have right not to respect their opinion.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Yep, and I'm entitled to not listening too.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I'm sorry, but some people just don't deserve the same consideration / platform as others. It's not just 'do you agree with me' (in general, not talking about the forum here) but it's whether people can keep to accepted norms of society.

Hello Simon, How can it be possible for one to deserve the right to free speech and another not? It's an either or thing for me. We either have the right to free speech, as in everyone, or no one does. In my opinion certain unalienable rights are discoveries, not inventions.

-Sab

• talesin
    talesin

Oh, I thought the OP was about general life and how the consumer is treated --- at least, that's how it reads to me. Talk about "stakeholders" and "customers" misled my thinking ... OOPS!

As regards discussion boards, well,,, opinions are like A$$holes, everybody's got one. Take nothing personal.

t

• talesin
    talesin

Hello Simon, How can it be possible for one to deserve the right to free speech and another not?

Uh, there is NO FREE SPEECH ON A PRIVATE FORUM.

That being said ,,,

Over the years, I have seen posters that ran roughshod over many, and MANY who disagreed with Simon's views (political or otherwise, as little as he posts),,, and NONE was banned,,,

UNTIL they crossed a line of either sexual or racial harrassment, or just plain constant disruptive behaviour, that was intolerable to the group,, so let's NOT accuse Simon of 'limiting free speech'.

1. Simon has the right to do what he wants --- this is *his* coffee shop, pub, or however you wish to view it.

2. Racial slurs, discrimation of any kind, or deliberate malicisous acts, are NOT tolerable behaviours in any 'civilized' society or group.

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit